PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: In Depth How To Clear Corners

Thorny88Lx
11-19-2002, 02:44 PM
Just as the title says. I tried to make my own and they were uglier than hell.

hondaaccord_86
11-19-2002, 02:50 PM
clear corners? like this....

dXsquared
11-19-2002, 02:55 PM
damn those are ugly... why is there such a huge gap? i think it would look better with out the huge gap!

Travis

socal3rdgen
11-19-2002, 02:58 PM
its because of his bumper not the light. how the helldid you make those. they look sweet.

bobafett
11-19-2002, 04:52 PM
yeah i am thinking tinted lenses would look nice. thats my plan i think~

hondaaccord_86
11-19-2002, 09:27 PM
:( yay... :( i finally realized that the previous owner probably bumped into another car or something, coz the hood isn't lined up either. when the headlight comes up, it hits the hood. :( and like DXHATCHBACK said, theres a "huge" gap too.
btw, if they're ugly then make your own foo! :lol

-ed

Mike's89AccordLX
11-19-2002, 10:14 PM
Sucks about the damage. I really like the light though. I was thinking about doing something like that, but waiting for someone to make a how-to. I don't have much time to do any experimenting. Those look sweet!! Did you do them or did the previous owner? Oh well they look cool.

hondaaccord_86
11-20-2002, 01:52 PM
here's my how-to for clear corners... this is for a 86 accord
pop the hood open, raise the headlights up. take off the black case thats around the headlight. there are four screws to take out, two in the front, and one on each side. Take the headlight out. Its held in by this grill-like thing. Theres three screws, two top and one middle bottom. Unplug the headlight. You’ll see that there is a screw holding in the corner signal light housing. Unscrew it and there will be a plastic protector thing too that is held in by that screw. There’s two screws that are lined on top of each other. Unscrew those too. The housing should now be able to come lose and off. Unplug the connector. (Or just turn and take the two lights out. If you do this, there’s one screw that is needed to be taken out.) Now take a dermal tool, and use the cutting tool to cut off all the outside lens of the housing, keeping the base. Make sure you cut it clean and smooth. I recommend that you spray the housing with silver or chrome of the inside of the housing to make the lights reflect better. Get some plexiglass, or that clear lighting plastic stuff that they use in for the fluorescent lighting in offices. Use a utility knife to cut a piece that should be enough to wrap around the housing. Use paper clips, the black ones that look like this… /_\ and have the silver thingys to pinch it open… use them to hold the plexi to the housing. Make sure there is enough plexi, and that you are not short. With it ‘clamped’ down, use a heating gun and heat up the plexi so that it gets the shape and form of the housing. Don’t leave the gun pointed at one section for a long time, wave the it around, up and down, left and right of the plexi. Do this for 5 minutes or so, and repeat 3 or 4 times. Let is cool for a couple of minutes. When you think that plexi is good shape, use marine glue, or silicon glue to glue it to the housing. Use clear glue. Put the glue around the housing (not too much!!!), and plexi on the housing and, again, clamp it down. Let the glue dry, about 24hrs, or more. If the plexi comes out over sized off the housing, then when the glue drys, gently take some rough sand paper and sand until the plexi is lined with the housing. Or you can find a hard surface and use the knife to slice more off (just be careful not to cut too much). Then place everything back on, and you have clear corners!!! Sorry its so long, it’s a simply thing to do when you have time on your hands. I don’t take any responsibility for the stuff you do!
Happy hunting!

-ed

dXsquared
11-20-2002, 01:58 PM
the light is cool... i just thought the gap was part of it!

Travis

3G Jester
11-20-2002, 03:31 PM
u bastard!!!! im working on my right now-----i dont have a heating gun so im pour and doing the log drawn out hand made by boiling technique. where and how much$$ for a heating gun=--and what is it? it cant have flame--that would warp and blacken the plexi.

PS TO ALL--plexi is availablke real cheep at home depot.---

hondaaccord_86
11-20-2002, 05:34 PM
a heating gun is just a like blow dryer. it blows out hot air. im guessing they cost about 20-30 bucks. not 100% sure. i got mine a while back in the day. i DONT recommend using a blow dryer.
some guys said to bake it in the oven. i did that, but the plexi shrank too much. so i just used the heating gun.

-ed

btw you can get a heating gun at home depot or a hardware shop

hondaaccord_86
11-20-2002, 05:38 PM
oooh yea, i can form out the plexi for you guys if u want it. just let me know.
[email protected]

-ed