PDA

View Full Version : Power windows conversion

3rd GEN
11-19-2002, 09:26 PM
hey i was just wonderin, cuz i got manual windows and it can really be a pain in tha ass to roll down the windows all the time, especially the passenger side.. gotta lean over and roll the damn thing down..

so i was just wonderin how difficult it would be to swap and install power windows..

i know Yasu can do mirrors... he was gonna do them for me..
but i am kinda wanting power windows..

thanks

mowery
11-20-2002, 11:12 AM
I've not done this, (Already have 'em.) But there's been lots of posts about the passenger side window motor having difficulty getting the window down the older the car gets. (it does it, but very slowly)

Mine is doing the same thing now. (window almost stops before getting completely open.) I've cleaned and lubed the tracks, but no help. I suspect it's a motor thing.

So just be careful about getting one from the 'yard, cause it may have the same prollem.

pmip
11-20-2002, 11:25 AM
There are new kits you can buy, but they're like $200-$300. If you can find some used ones in a junkyard in good condition, that would probably be the best. As to how hard it is, I have no clue. You will have to get inside each door to put the motor system in, and then run the wires to the switches and fusebox (or battery). I imagine it can't be too difficult though, probably a little harder than installing power locks.

88' Accord Ltd
11-20-2002, 01:22 PM
I had to do this on my old car when it got written off, i took all thepower stuff outta one door and put it in my dads accord then i put the manual stuff back in the old door. When i first started on this job I'll say i had very little idea of what i had to change. But you have to gut the entire door, remove the manual crank and shit and install the power one. Same thing if you want to install the locks. The doors are pre-wired for the windows and locks. His didnt have any for the mirrors though. It did take me about an hour and a half to do 2 doors and get everything working properly again. But then again i didn't really know what i was doing when i started. Now I'm thinking of putting power windows and locks in my car, that is when the snow melts lol. Its an easy job if you know what you are doing but just make sure your schedule is clear for a while. If you are going to put them in a dx then make sure you get the little controller boxes for the locks and windows.

3rd GEN
11-20-2002, 11:08 PM
mmmmmmm..
so ya don't think it's too hard to do??
so how long do ya figure.. about 5-8 hours...
like a good day to do it??
mmmmm..ya, uz i would really love power windows...
then again, i might just sell my car and get another 3gee..

but the thing is, i'v done soo much to it and it look damn good..i don't want to start all over again...

88' Accord Ltd
11-21-2002, 06:27 AM
I dont think its that hard to do...........anymore that is. Yah i would give yourself a good full day of working and you should have it done. When you put the power stuff in the doors, you are just throwing the manual stuff to the side? not putting it in another door? if thats the case then you should have it done in a day. Considering too many things dont go wrong.

3rd GEN
11-21-2002, 10:11 PM
ya.. i don't need any of the manual stuff anymore.. just want power windows on the two front windows..

carotman
11-22-2002, 05:17 AM
Wiring the doors should take half a day if you know what you're doing. The car cabin will be a little painful tough....

My car was pre-wired from the EFI conversion when I did that, so I just had to do the doors and it worked like a marvel :beer:

3rd GEN
11-22-2002, 10:29 AM
mmmmmmm.. i think i will just get an exi instead..haha