PDA

View Full Version : car stalling in cold and wet

smufguy
11-20-2002, 08:19 AM
Okay here is the deal. WHy would a car (efi) stall (like turn off) while warmed up and driving when its cold or wet or there is moisture outside? Do u think it could be the altenator or a bad something?

This one is mainly for a 90 toyota camry and a frind of mine who drives a 88 3g efi. What could be wrong? thanks guys.

ACCORD EX
11-20-2002, 08:50 AM
may be belts slipping ! ?

MIKE

Greg
11-20-2002, 10:59 AM
It could be all kinds of stuff. The car stalls after it's already warmed up? Like at full operating temp? Can it be restarted easily after that or not?

Does it run rough at all or lose power before it stalls?

Maybe there is a bad wiring connection at the fuel pump or the main fuel relay is going bad?

I have done some work on Camry's, and I seem to remember the ignition coils going bad pretty easily. Basically it led to a loss of power, but if the thing is REALLY bad then it could make the car stall. But I haven't seen it act that way.

I believe that the coil on those Camry's (if I'm not getting my Camry generations confused) is internal. If you take off the cap and then take off the distributor, you can sometimes see arc marks on the body of the coil -- meaning it's arcing to ground and losing spark. I'd check that, the cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and then make sure the relay and fuel pump were good.

After that it could be vacuum leaks, sticky air-controller valves...???

But how does the car run otherwise? I think more information would be needed to narrow it down.

Is the check engine light on? Does the car have oil and coolant?

1988starter
11-20-2002, 11:38 AM
My car usto stall when it got damp then I replaced my plug wires.

oldsub86
11-20-2002, 05:30 PM
I agree with 1988starter.
Try new spark plug wires before anything else. It is a common problem when it is damp. The insulation on the wires breaks down over time and the moisture then gets through and affects the electrical power.

If you are feeling poor you could try spraying the wires good with somethink like WD40. It should help to seal them temporarily.

Randy

smufguy
11-20-2002, 07:43 PM
My uncle got it fixed today, spent 100 bucks to fix that at Autozone after the electrical diagnosis. I have to call him yet and see what he chagned, but he said that he changed some coil shit. My guess is ignition coil like greg said, but i thought he got a bad throttle cable which usually goes loose once the car warms up. but we will see tomorrow.