PDA

View Full Version : checking for play in upper balljoint

Mantis88LX
11-20-2002, 08:54 AM
ok so i jacked the car up and grab th wheel at the top and bottom and wiggled, it does make a"tick" sound when i wiggle it either way, but on the passenger side it has some play before i hear the "tick" also passenger side boot is ripped and doesnt camber as much as driver side

so should there be no sound? both are bad?

pearldrop
11-20-2002, 09:05 AM
There shouldn't be a tick sound at all. Take the opportunity to put the prelude upper control arms in while you have the chance. Then you will have a camber kit.

Mantis88LX
11-20-2002, 10:23 AM
when i replace the balljoints what other part do i need? i read somewere that i need something else, also does it matter what kind i put in? autozone has aftermarket ones with a waranty so i may get those.

prelude arms will come in the future,

pearldrop
11-20-2002, 11:54 AM
To replace the balljoints, you have to replace the whole arm anyway, so you might as well just replace it with the Prelude ones. It will probably cost less to get the Prelude arms from the junkyard and buy some brand new balljoints than it will to buy the whole Accord upper arm new from Honda.

anchovies
11-20-2002, 03:17 PM
pearldrop is right. Get the prelude arms since both of your ball joints are shot. It's the cheaper and better route.

LIL'LXi
11-23-2002, 07:37 AM
Would the prelude arms be a good swap on a '87 lxi hb ? If so what year preludes are you talking about?

markmdz89hatch
11-23-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by LIL'LXi
Would the prelude arms be a good swap on a '87 lxi hb ? If so what year preludes are you talking about?

Yeah they'll work great on ur car, but the only reason we use them is for camber correction due to the car being lowered. If it's not lowered, and you don't plan on it, they're useless. 84-87 'ludes.

www.pamsauto.com to get 'em real cheap, but I'd also suggest getting new ball joints for 'em from like autozone or something b/c even if the look and feel fine on the j/y ones, do the job once, and do it right IMO.

anchovies
11-24-2002, 12:50 AM
I've measured the prelude arms and the stock 3g arms. If you were to use the prelude arms on your stock suspension, even with the arms adjusted all the way in, you'll still have a little negative camber. Something to think about.

anchovies
11-24-2002, 12:50 AM
I've measured the prelude arms and the stock 3g arms. If you were to use the prelude arms on your stock suspension, even with the arms adjusted all the way in, you'll still have a little negative camber. Something to think about.

markmdz89hatch
11-24-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by anchovies

...that's at stock (3G) height right? Sounds like it'd be the case, but then again, the 'lude arms are only suggested on dropped cars in order to correct the camber caused by the lowering.

if it's not lowered, I'd suggest OEM replacements, there's no need for anything special on stock suspension.

anchovies
11-24-2002, 10:57 PM
I'm sorry for double posts. Why is it happening I've got no idea!!!

Anyway, let me correct what I said, with the prelude arms on a stock suspension for a 3g, you'll have a little POSITIVE CAMBER not negative.