PDA

View Full Version : 91 Prelude engine

Greg
11-20-2002, 12:33 PM
I know this isn't the place to post this, but I figure you guys know a lot about Lude engines, and I have a quick question.

On my friend's 91 Lude SI the crank pulley (the outer part that the alternator belt rides on) came off the main part of the pully. Is this thing bolted on, pressed on? I took a quick look at it for him this afternoon but I couldn't jack it up to really see how it is put together.

Can someone tell me how it's put together so I can give him advice about fixing it. I'm not gonna do the work, and he's totally ignorant about cars so he's gonna take it to a shop. I just don't want them to sell him a new pulley if he just needs 3 bolts to keep it together.

thanks!

RobT5580
11-20-2002, 04:54 PM
The prelude motor is a bit different than the accord motor and if im correct out main pulley is all one piece. I would ask the guy at www.ludespeed.com if no one else here knows.....

YK86
11-20-2002, 07:22 PM
I looked in my factory Prelude manual and looked it up online but it's one piece for sure.

merlindavis
11-21-2002, 04:59 AM
crank pulley on the b21a1 and b20a5 is one piece, and is bolted on...

btw, alternator belt on a 3g lude is on the inner part of the pulley, power steering belt is the outer, smaller one... i can take a pic of my engine to prove it to you if you'd like...

Greg
11-21-2002, 11:57 AM
Cool -- thanks a lot guys!

Sure, I believe that I got the belts mixed up. The pulley came apart on his car, the belts came off, and I only looked at it quickly to tell him that the problem was the pulley -- I didn't get a chance to think about how the belts are routed.

It's weird that the thing just came apart. I've NEVER seen that happen on a car... Basically the outer run just broke off of the pulley -- WEIRD!

I broke the pulley on my girlfriend's 86 accord LXI when I wedged it as I was trying to loosen the bolt when doing her t-belt (I then went and got a junkyard pulley for $10 and an impact wrench to finish the job). But I've never seen a pulley just break on its own.