PDA

View Full Version : I found my new car :)

HondaManDan
11-20-2002, 01:32 PM
anyone want a 88' LX sedan that just turned 100k??? brand new snows on it... honda hubcaps.... entirely new front and rear suspension (everything!)... and new belts and hoses. $2000. I found my new car... it's 1991 Toyota MR2... rated at 170 stock hp. it's a Dohc 2.0L compairable to the V-tec in preludes.... and it's got a turbo option... heh heh... it's a rear mounted engine, sport coupe.. T-tops, rear wheel drive, dual exhaust and get this.... FLIP UP HEADLIGHTS!!! lol... it also has a spoiler and these porche style air ducts on the sides.... it's a sweet ride.. i found it on E-bay. it's around 3,500 bucks... it's got 64k on it and im springing for it... it's a non-turbo... but it's a standard... and i can tweek the shit out of it because there's actually a lot of aftermarket support for it!!!... im so excited...
so yeah anyone want my car???

socal3rdgen
11-20-2002, 01:40 PM
now we can call you ToyotaManDan

Grant2k
11-20-2002, 05:41 PM
your face is gonna be red when you don't win that auction.

FatBob
11-20-2002, 05:59 PM
Nice choice:super:

Roar
11-20-2002, 11:28 PM
FYI: The non-turbo '91's are 2.2 liters and stock, they put out around 130-140 hp. Turbos are 2 liters so make sure it isn't a turbo with no turbo! Turbos are good for 170 hp or so... Other ways to tell turbos apart are: turbo script in back (duh), raised intake grills on engine lid, turbo boost gauge on dash. Keep in mind all these can be added to a non-turbo car. Also, the MR2 is MID engined not rear engined. It's not comparable to the v-tech at all because it doesn't have variable valve timing. If you have any questions about these cars, post them...I can answer them. I've owned one and beyond that know lots 'o stuff about sports cars (but not so much about so-called "sport compact cars" ie. civics, integras, etc...).

ACCORD EX
11-21-2002, 02:21 AM
mid mounted engine ! wow like a Ferrari cooooooooool !:D

MIKE

Coroncho80
11-21-2002, 08:27 AM
WTF is a mid mounted engine???

Grant2k
11-21-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Coroncho80
it's not in the front, like our cars, but it isn't really a rear mounted engine like a Porsche. a Fiero has a mid mounted engine. somebody else can probably give a more precise definition.

Roar
11-21-2002, 10:14 AM
A mid-mounted engine is just an engine with the majority of its mass placed on or forward of the rear axle. To clarify, a rear engined car would have most of it's mass placed behind the rear axle, a front engined car would have the majority of its mass placed in front of the front axle. Also, it's kind of interesting to realize that a mid engine design can also mean an engine with most of its mass behind the front axle (a la Mazda Rx7 1st Gen). What this does for the car is simple. It places the heaviest single part of the car (the engine) as near as possible to the center of the car. This in turn easily creates a favorable weight distribution which for a given chassis will allow higher lateral g's before loss of adhesion. The downfall of the design is that the same principles that allow a longer time for the car to spin, create a shorter amount of "breakaway" time when it does spin, necessitating a very good (or familiar) driver to catch the car before disaster strikes. I've owned a couple mid-engined cars (still do actually) and they are great fun to drive. Very nimble and balanced. All that said, the second gen MR2s sound like more fun than they actually are. Unless you get the turbo... The N/A cars are underpowered, have a horrible exhaust note, and generally feel big and heavy. Buy a first gen MR2! Cheaper and TEN TIMES the fun!!

Jims 86LXI HB
11-21-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Coroncho80

That describes where the motor is mounted in the car

Porsche Boxster= mid engine (engine is in the middle of the car)
Porsche 911= rear engine (engine is in the rear off the car)
Porsche 944= front engine (engine is in the front of the car)

(sometimes you'll get cars that mount the engine in the front of the car but it's placed well behind the front axle of the car. If you look at them they look sorta like a front mid mounted engine).

HondaManDan
01-04-2003, 11:12 PM
Thanks a lot for the help. I lost the auction lol. I still want one though.

89accordboi
01-07-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Grant2k
it's not in the front, like our cars, but it isn't really a rear mounted engine like a Porsche. a Fiero has a mid mounted engine. somebody else can probably give a more precise definition.

umm my moms bf has a fiero and its less then a 10 second car... the engine is in the front.