PDA

View Full Version : headers, exhaust, catback.

89accordboi
11-20-2002, 01:58 PM
im thinking about getting these 3 for my car :toilet:

headers, exhaust, catback.
i was told these 3 would only bring me about 5hp, when i would guess that it would bring me at least 20-25, considering that an intake can increase hp by 10-12% depending on its quality. if i spent $50 on getting these 3 things, i would only get 5hp right? then why spend the money when u can do appearance mods to make it look good, rather then adding 5hp? or am i stupid? which i think i am cuz i dont know much about cars yet...

so those 3 also would bring me power throughout the higher rpms like 3000-6500 or something, isnt that basically hp? or can someone explain this to me plz? thx for reading and responding

:bh:

dXsquared
11-20-2002, 02:20 PM
well exhaust and cat back are the same. you have an LX so an intake is out of the question. what would be good for some HP would be to flip the lid on ur air box. then order a set of Pacesetter headers from NOPI. Then go to ur local exhaust store and get them to bend a 2.25 inch pipe with a 2.25 inch cat and no resonator. put a muffler of ur choice on(stainless, dynomax with tip, Flowmaster) these will free up lots of power in the top end<3000rpm+> low end will be boosted as well. this will be good enuff until yopu can get a WEBER and a COLT CAMS cam.

Travis

89accordboi
11-20-2002, 03:00 PM
i dont want to pay a lot for installation, would installation be easy? cuz as u can see i dontd know much about cars but i want to learn

2old_honda
11-20-2002, 03:05 PM
insallation of the header is easy. you would have to have an exhaust shop custom bend/weld the catback. DO NOT buy the pacesetter catback.

socal3rdgen
11-20-2002, 03:09 PM
i think it would be about 5-10 for the catback. with headers prob another 4-8.

89accordboi
11-20-2002, 03:17 PM
is there anyway to find out/test hp?

anchovies
11-20-2002, 04:09 PM
First, you must think to yourself whether you want to go fast, or you want show off your car. Sounds like you're not too sure from your post.

You can take other people's word for the hp and torque claims, but the only evidence you can get is to do the dyno tests yourself. Sometimes a butt dyno tells alot :D

89accordboi
11-20-2002, 04:35 PM
well, i think the most important thing is looks, becaues i wont be racing everyone i see... i mainly want to upgrade hp so i can race people at a light and stuff but i dont think thats too important, if i could just get a custom intake even tho im carb'd, it would be good, i want it so i can have the nice powerful sound at high rpm's, i really dont want an ongoing loud sound

dXsquared
11-20-2002, 04:37 PM
your ass dyno will be reading off results. you will notice more speed and a smoother acceleration. putting the headers on will be so easy but your gonna have to go to the exhaust store to get the pipes done. Talk to friends about exhaust shops. you may be able to find a buddie that knows someone with a shop. the price will vary but id say that 400-500 bux for headers and an exhaust system installed. 150 for header at NOPI and 100 for a pipe bent and another 75 for a muffler and tip. a new 2.25 inch universal cat is 99 bux for high flow and a regular one will be less. for the muffler go to a performance shop and grab a muffler that you like. bring it to the exhaust shop with a new 2.25 inch cat or no cat if you dont have emissions control.

Travis
PM if any questions

Grant2k
11-20-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by 89accordboi
then why spend the money when u can do appearance mods to make it look good, rather then adding 5hp?
to some people 5hp is worth more than looking good.

shepherd79
11-20-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Grant2k

to some people 5hp is worth more than looking good.

Yeap, i am one of them. my car looks like shit but i don't care.

1988starter
11-21-2002, 06:35 PM
I have IHE and It is enough to make me smile more than when it was stock.

bobafett
11-21-2002, 06:55 PM
i hear ya brother starter!!!! heheh.... i/h/e thats about all my zoom zoom mods... but its way more fun to drive.. i almost forget what driving a "queit" car is like...

quagmire
11-21-2002, 08:13 PM
I/H/E opens the door to a whole world of power options.

89LXiCoupe
11-22-2002, 08:52 AM
$50 dollars can't get you anywhere performance-wise. Maybe a cheap muffler and that's about it. Appearance-wise, $50 could do you some good like a lip or okay fog lights or even stickers (they'll make your car feel faster). Well, it's your call, man, so spend your money the way you like. Just remember that while it's for some people to admire, it's also for others to hate on.