PDA

View Full Version : Brake cooling duct mod....

Roar
11-20-2002, 11:38 PM
Well, after posting my rant about Accord performance mods in the General section, I was wondering about doing a CHEAP mod on my LX. Here's what I'm thinking: I don't know about the rest of you, but I've experienced some pretty bad brake fade in my Accord during hard mountain runs and on track events. Besides going to performance pads (which I've done already) and slotted/drilled rotors (which I haven't done and exceeds my budget for THIS car), I was wondering about the effectiveness of running some cooling ducts from the front airdam lower ducts to the front discs. I've taken out the "cutout" lower ducts and figure I can rig up some large diameter flexible tubing so that it doesn't contact any moving parts and directs some cool air to the brakes. Has anyone done this before? Thoughts on effectiveness? Any comments welcome... I figure it might be an effective mod I can research and follow up on for the benefit of everyone here.

anchovies
11-21-2002, 01:10 AM
How about some metal brake lines?

ACCORD EX
11-21-2002, 02:24 AM
i was thinking of the same thing ! ? can someone help ! ?

Jims 86LXI HB
11-21-2002, 02:39 AM
If he wants to rig up a brake cooling system that works (how would you know it flows good?) and can be done easiely, he can knock himself out. Hope he can provide sensible testimony on how he know's beyond a doubt that it provides reasonable amounts of air flow. Now the thing is, how many members are going to be doing the kind of driving that heats up the brakes enough to need said cooling. I know I can, so I'm interested. Smoking brakes aren't cool (but at least they didn't fade).

Here's a link for braided stainless steel brake lines

http://www.opmmotorsports.com/products/honda/accord/86_88accordlxi.html

anchovies
11-21-2002, 02:46 PM
I found some ss brake lines for $50 for our 3geez. Don't know how true is that, but I'm sorry, I lost that link.
Well, zip ties will work.

Roar
11-21-2002, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the links on ss brakelines, but that's not quite what I'm talking about. I'm talking about air ducting to cool rotors, not the expansion of rubber brake lines. Anyway, In reference to Jim's message, Jim my assumption is that if no other parts of the brake system are modified at the same time that the air ducting is installed, then you could test the brake fade (in a safe location) simply by making 10 hard stops from high speed (60mph or so) in rapid succession first using no ducting, allowing the brakes to completely cool down, and the try with the ducting. If there is a difference in fade, it would be logical to assume that it is due to the ducting as there are no other variables. It would be essential to wait quite a while for the brakes to cool between no duct test and ducted test however.

Roar
11-21-2002, 04:04 PM
BTW... I'm going to have to take a look to be sure, but I think that the dust shields will probably have to come off to make this work. It is possible that they could just be cut back a bit which would also leave some material avaliable to attach that end of the ducting... Any ideas Jim?

anchovies
11-21-2002, 04:26 PM
In my mind, it could work if you cut the fender liner and direct the air duct from the fog light holes to the rotors.

smufguy
11-24-2002, 09:37 PM
but the problem is gonna be that its gonna be a hard thing to do and has to be modded with fiberglass. The hardest thing s with a FWD cause of ur driveaxle being in the way. on a RWD ur pretty much set cause of no driveaxles. but u still got tie rods and radius rod to take care of. Its a good project, but i would say not wroth the time cause of the way we drive. Unless ur gonna take it out on track and have ur car running 90+mph with constant braking, its just not worth it. what is worth the money is upgrading ur brakes to a slotted or crossdrilled and the follow up is on the HOW-TO.

AccordEpicenter
11-26-2002, 09:14 PM
Hmm, Im working on redoing the bumper on my car radically differently (so far, when its done itll look killer) almost like i installed a body kit or somthing, but im gonna try to fiberglass in some vents that go right to the wheelwell, where the slots for the fog lights are supposed to go to the inner fender, and from there on im not sure how im gonna hook it up yet. Do you think this will be really effective guys? Its always good to combat fade, one time i had a bad experience on a country road when i was going about 95 and then a dump truck pulled out in front of me, i came within 2 feet of totalling the car, all because the brakes faded soooo badly. If you have brake dust shields in your front wheels, remove them, they prevent proper ventilation.

Immeraufdemhund
12-06-2002, 08:01 PM
hmm, i'll have to remember that. I bet if you custom make a face to attach to the two grill things on the bottom sides of your bumper and run it straight to the back of your tire through your fender into tire wells you could get a decent ram air into that area. I remember something similar on the old butstangs for the rear wheels. (cept those are up at the door) the only problem that i could see then is water, but there is no vacuum...so i guess it should be ok. i'll try photoshop and see if i can explain it better to my self first.