PDA

View Full Version : AntiLock Brake System

EurAccord
11-21-2002, 09:01 AM
Hi All

I've got a UK '87 Accord ALB 16Vi and am getting some weird symptoms from my ALB system.

The ALB warning light doesn't go out till I first apply my brakes (which I am told is normal for this model), it will then stay out, and the ALB system works OK.

However if I go above 85mph or so, and apply my brakes then I can feel the ALB activating (get bumps through the brake pedal) even though I'm nowhere near skidding, then when slowed to about 70 or so the brakes return to normal.

Also if I go above 90 or so the ALB warning lights up, and will then stay on until I switch off the engine and restart.

Any clues as to what to look at to fix this?

Regards
AndyM

86AccordLxi
11-21-2002, 09:35 AM
omg!! You've got Anti-Lock Brakes. I don't remember any other member ever having these!!!! Sorry I can't help, it's just shocking to finally have someone that has this rare option!

Alex

socal3rdgen
11-21-2002, 09:39 AM
yeah it is rare but some were manufactured with abs

markmdz89hatch
11-21-2002, 09:46 AM
my warped rotors kinda feel like ABS :flip:

RCracer
11-21-2002, 10:10 AM
All the 2.0i-16 in the UK got ABS as standard.
Most of the EXi (aerodecks) have ABS to.
I still have most of the ABS stuff from my 16v parts car.
Dont plan to use it though as my car is only a EX and fitting it would be a pain!!!!

guaynabo89
11-21-2002, 02:32 PM
Maybe one of the sensors on one of the wheels is giving a faulty reading.

Check to see the physical conition of all abs sensors on the wheels and the cog that it reads off of.

Get yourself a manual an start to troubleshoot.

Just a couple of ideas.

EurAccord
11-21-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by 86AccordLxi
omg!! You've got Anti-Lock Brakes. I don't remember any other member ever having these!!!! Sorry I can't help, it's just shocking to finally have someone that has this rare option!

Alex

Oh dear .... Better not tell you about the Cruise Control, Air Conditioning and 137bhp B20A2 engines that we get here ... Do you get them?

:tongue:

EurAccord
11-21-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by guaynabo89
Maybe one of the sensors on one of the wheels is giving a faulty reading.

Check to see the physical conition of all abs sensors on the wheels and the cog that it reads off of.

Get yourself a manual an start to troubleshoot.

Just a couple of ideas.

Yeah, I had better do that, thanks for the suggestion ... I suspect something has come loose somewhere or gone out of tolerance ...

86AccordLxi
11-21-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by EurAccord

Oh dear .... Better not tell you about the Cruise Control, Air Conditioning and 137bhp B20A2 engines that we get here ... Do you get them?

:tongue:

We don't get the B20A2, but we get the other stuff of course:rolleyes: I knew that the abs option existed, i just don't ever remember someone having that option coming to post on the board. ABS might be cool

alex

Euro2.0ex
11-22-2002, 01:05 AM
I thoght all euro 2.0 16v accords have abs.
Down here we have to convert to abs if we want to fit a b20 engine.
If i want fuel injection for the A20, so it's disc brakes for the back then.. If we dont't do that our cars would be illegal. Sounds good?

Jareds 89 LX-i
11-22-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
my warped rotors kinda feel like ABS :flip:
I'll second that... :lol

Sorry I can't help much with the brakes. The ABS light is currently on all the time in my dads van, so we're trying to figure that one out. I'd check all the connections first though. That's about as far as my knowledge on ABS systems goes, lol

foobari
09-07-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Euro2.0ex
I thoght all euro 2.0 16v accords have abs.
Down here we have to convert to abs if we want to fit a b20 engine.
If i want fuel injection for the A20, so it's disc brakes for the back then.. If we dont't do that our cars would be illegal. Sounds good?
Digging up old posts... the ALB system isn't stock for the 2.0i-16 Accords, it was an option for 13.000 fim back then. (13.000 fim = 2184e ~ 2184$)

And for the conversion, converting from A20 to B20 would not require installing ALB, only the rear discs.

HondaBoy
09-07-2003, 10:53 AM
maybe i can help. i had this funky ass ABS problem on my '02 accord. its happened when i tried out a short arm intake on it. i believe it had something to do with a vacuum problem in the intake. dont know what exactly it was, but then i hooked up the oil breather hose, it went away. see if any vacuum lines are missing or leaking in some form from your throttal area or intake manifold. maybe that could be it, and its worth a look to examin stuff like that anyway. hope it might help.