PDA

View Full Version : 88 accord dx help

AnnetteCassell
01-25-2014, 07:59 AM
Please help!! I have a 88 honda accord dx with 310xxx miles and i recently stopped at the gas station to put gas in and my car wouldn't start back up after engine run on or dieseling I had it towed to my house and it started up after a 2 days of sitting I cleaned the spark plugs and distrubiter cap I have read a few post about it and from what I read it's either a fuel pump or a timing belt but I'm leaning more toward fuel pump cause it started up again. This has happened before that but it started after about 5 mins of turning over and pumping the gas she started up.same thing happened the other day almost diddent start but once again by pumping the gas got her started any input would help thanks!!

Oldblueaccord
01-26-2014, 06:41 AM
Usually "engine run on" your timing is advanced a little to much or your idle is a little to high. New spark plugs couldnt hurt. Plain NGKs.

When it doesn't start again see if you can look down the carb and move the throttle linkage by hand a few times. If the accelerator pump is shooting gas you have fuel there at the carb. if not I would think about checking the fuel pressure see if your pump is not going good anymore.

Also research the Main relay problem. I'm pretty sure carb cars have one like FI cars do.

AnnetteCassell
01-26-2014, 09:17 AM
Ya my car idles vey high at times the choke stays wide open when it's warm, but not always sometimes it runs like a champ with no idle issue the mechanic I know said its possible I need a choke pull off valve. I do need new spark plugs wires and distributer cap basically a tune up I was planing on getting NGK plugs and wires I figured that would be best . I'm hoping that after all that she will run better. And idk if I accidentally posted in the wrong section or something but if I did I'm new to this whole forum thing my bad if I did. But thanks for the reply!!