PDA

View Full Version : Clutch pedal sticking?

allhailmj23
01-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Hello people of 3geez! Yes I've done my search. Anyway, I seem to have quite an unusual problem with my clutch pedal. For daily driving, everything is working fine. Clutch pedal goes down smoothly, I change gears, and I pull out of the clutch normally. No problems there. But when I'm trying to drive hard, smashing through the gears, the pedal seems to rise back up very slowly. The clutch pedal doesn't return back up into resting position as fast as I can lift my foot. Because of this, my car kinda slips into the next gear. Does anyone know if this is a problem with the clutch cable, or the pedal assembly itself? Advice is much appreciated.

HLW
01-26-2014, 03:00 PM
It could be either. The only way to know for sure is to remove the clutch cable and see if the cable moves freely in by hand. If it does, you need to disassemble, clean and re-lube the pivot point on the clutch pedal. If the cable does not move freely by hand, but moves with resistance, spray some WD-40 in the cable housing and move the cable back and forth until it moves freely, then make sure the WD-40 comes out the other side with the old lube and spray in new lube while moving the cable back and forth to work it in. You may need to use a small tube to hold the boot at the end of the cable open to let the old lube and WD-40 out.

lostforawhile
01-26-2014, 09:42 PM
It could be either. The only way to know for sure is to remove the clutch cable and see if the cable moves freely in by hand. If it does, you need to disassemble, clean and re-lube the pivot point on the clutch pedal. If the cable does not move freely by hand, but moves with resistance, spray some WD-40 in the cable housing and move the cable back and forth until it moves freely, then make sure the WD-40 comes out the other side with the old lube and spray in new lube while moving the cable back and forth to work it in. You may need to use a small tube to hold the boot at the end of the cable open to let the old lube and WD-40 out.
dont use wd40 it wont last, you need a good spray lubricant like a lithium based spray.

HLW
01-27-2014, 12:09 AM
dont use wd40 it wont last, you need a good spray lubricant like a lithium based spray.

Lost, the WD-40 was only for cleaning out the old gunky lube, not for re-lubing the cable.

firefighterwhite89
01-27-2014, 03:23 AM
I used the lovely Old Blue Hi Temp 427 grease in mine. I'd recommend it to you guys as well. Bought a tube, ducktaped the end of the grease pump to the end of the cable and pumped that thing like no tomorrow until it came all the way out the other side in copius amounts. I think it's like $3-5 a tube depending on the brand. You can even get it at Wal*Mart. I purposely used high temp l-427 grease because my clutch cable replacement is ridiculously too long and comes within a few inches of the head and headers.

lostforawhile
01-27-2014, 05:16 PM
Lost, the WD-40 was only for cleaning out the old gunky lube, not for re-lubing the cable.
my bad, I thought you were talking about lubing the cable

allhailmj23
01-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I will clean the cable and give it a good greasing.