PDA

View Full Version : caliper retaining bolts

SLCPUNK
11-21-2002, 07:51 PM
86 Accord dx. I replaced everything on my front brakes. Before I took of my (old) left rotor I noticed the lower caliper bolt was kind of loose. I tightened it and noticed that the wheel wouldn't even turn then. It seemed the bolt was going right into the rotor.I thought maybe the bolt was a different size than the other side but they are not. I thought the rotor may be bent weird or something, and they need replacing anyway so I put new ones on. It still can't screw in all the way without the wheel not turning by hand. If I tighten it down with a wrench and then drive, it makes a horrible grinding noise. What gives? I have never seen anything like this before.

Should I just get bolts that are a tad shorter? Why does one bolt down ok, and I can't tighten the other one down without this problem?

Thanks in advance.

1988starter
11-22-2002, 06:27 AM
put a few washers under it for mow and then go find a new bolt.

SLCPUNK
11-22-2002, 10:21 AM
Good idea. I'm going to the junk yard and pull a shorter bolt.

markmdz89hatch
11-22-2002, 10:58 PM
is it an LX-i or DX/LX? What year? The reason I ask is b/c the calipers/mounting brackets are different.

SLCPUNK
11-22-2002, 11:03 PM
It's a DX 1986. Mounting brackets are the same (that were on the car in the begining) . Calipers from AZ, and rotors/pads too. It didn't happen until I got the calipers now that I think about it. I had so much sh*t to do on the car I lost track of when that happened. So they gave me the wrong calipers you think?

anchovies
11-23-2002, 12:04 AM
Check with your old caliper. Maybe they gave you the fi one.

SLCPUNK
11-23-2002, 01:36 AM
Old caliper is long gone. I'm going to take another bolt out of the pick n pull and see if it'll do the job. Thanks for your thoughts.