PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brakes Locking Up!

import racer
02-04-2014, 04:11 PM
So last week my rear brakes started locking up,not sure why.I replaced the caliper,rotor and pads a couple of months ago on the driver's side to pass inspection.Everything was fine after that,so don't know why they are locking up,think I need to clean them with brake fluid but to cold out to work on them.Anyone have an idea what's going on with them.

lostforawhile
02-04-2014, 07:19 PM
your proportioning valve is going bad, it limits rear pressure to prevent the rears from locking before the front, it also has the residual pressure valves built into it. I doubt it's the master as the brakes are split diagonally, left front,right rear, etc, so a front and a back brake would be locking or dragging

Dr_Snooz
02-06-2014, 07:06 AM
Also do a visual inspection of the brakes themselves. Check for rust and wear, and re-grease all the sliding and pivot points as necessary. It's possible to have a backing plate go bad and do funky things with the rear brakes, so be aware of that too.

import racer
02-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Would the pads cause a problem,the ones on the car were semi met and the one i changed were replaced with honda ones.

import racer
02-14-2014, 07:53 PM
bump!

import racer
02-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Seems like only one is locking up,the one i didn't replace.

VIPER1988
02-15-2014, 07:04 AM
If its only one I doubt it would be the prop valve. More likely the caliper or the rubber line to the caliper.

lostforawhile
02-15-2014, 02:40 PM
If its only one I doubt it would be the prop valve. More likely the caliper or the rubber line to the caliper.
well there is a residual pressure valve for each rear brake built into the proportioning valve

VIPER1988
02-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Never said it wasn't a possibility. Just that caliper or hose are more likely. Especially if its the original 25 year old hoses. They collapse on the inside and hold the pressure in the caliper.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

lostforawhile
02-15-2014, 04:31 PM
I would have gotten rid of those hoses years ago, not safe to trust a 25 year old brake hose

VIPER1988
02-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Agreed. These days you can find braided steel lines cheaper than regular rubber lines. I think I paid around 70$ for the whole set.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Dr_Snooz
02-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Also do a visual inspection of the brakes themselves. Check for rust and wear, and re-grease all the sliding and pivot points as necessary. It's possible to have a backing plate go bad and do funky things with the rear brakes, so be aware of that too.

This fool thinks you have rear drums. LOL

I don't think your mismatched pads are helping things. The hydraulic system is designed to supply even pressure throughout. With one set of pads grabbing more aggressively than the other, expect one side to lock up sooner than the other. Pads are cheap so start there and work your way toward more expensive stuff.

gyates93
06-17-2014, 12:55 PM
This fool thinks you have rear drums. LOL

I don't think your mismatched pads are helping things. The hydraulic system is designed to supply even pressure throughout. With one set of pads grabbing more aggressively than the other, expect one side to lock up sooner than the other. Pads are cheap so start there and work your way toward more expensive stuff.

I agree here, I would never replace brakes on one side of an axle without doing the same part on the other side, that's just asking for trouble.

Otherwise I would look at the calipers and make sure they slide properly and the pistons are not seized or anything, then look at the proportioning valve.

Fixedit
05-16-2022, 12:19 PM
Did an SEi rear disc swap on my 86 LXi, new master cylinder, calipers, pads rotors etc., and installed the 4040 prop valve from the donor SEi.

Left front caliper drags intermittently. Prop valve leaks out of the weep hole. Prop valve seems quite suspect. Grabbed a 3540 prop valve from a 3g prelude 2.0si, think I’ll be alright using that in place of the 4040?

ShiRen
05-17-2022, 04:02 AM
Probably. I think that you would be fine with any prop valve that works, beggars can't be choosers

conozo
05-20-2022, 03:36 AM
I don't think anyone could tell the difference except for that race car driver you hire to race your car on a track during the weekends.