PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my car?

4DoorAccordDX
11-21-2002, 11:56 PM
OK, I am new to the whole import car scene. I have had my Accord, (87 Accoord 4 door Sedan DX 2.0L 5-speed) for about 2 months and it has ran reasonably well until today. (Brace yourself this is kinda long) I was on my way to deliver a pizza order, and the closer and closer I go to my destination the worse my car ran. At first it was a knocking sound that would increase and decrease with the RPMs. Then it started running bad. It would hardly accelerate, the knocking got louder and more frequent and it wouldn't idle at a stop. When I let off the gas the knocking would become quieter, but it would drop down to about 4-500 RPMs and then die if I didn' give it more gas. I managed to make it to my destination but I was afraid to drive it any more. I got it home on a trailer and started it, the knocking wasn't as bad until it warmed up. I popped the hood but couldn't tell exactly where the knocking was coming from. it idled alright until it warmed up, then would idle super low, around 300 RPMs. What is going on? :banghead: Also, ever since I got it, when ever I started it, it would rev to about 2k and knock kinda loud but then go away and it didn't knock unless I revved to 3k and above. Is it a valve maybe? Lifter? Only engine mod is a flipped lid. It's time for an oil change and I have been thinking about a tune up. It has 172k miles on it. Please tell me what is wrong with my car, I got it because my Ranger wasn't reliable. I don't need nor want another beater.

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

4DoorAccordDX

p.s. what does a complete tune up involve? I am a do-it-yourselfer.

socal3rdgen
11-22-2002, 12:05 AM
you have one of the best longevity cars around. but, your car is fucked. get a different one. perhaps another 3g. the previous owner did not keep this car in good shape. these cars are great dont think that this is just another beater. you just got a dud. that really doent happen a lot

Vanilla Sky
11-22-2002, 01:41 AM
bad motor... i wouldn't worry about it... just sell it for cheap and get another car

sorry to hear about the loss...

Derick

1988starter
11-22-2002, 06:17 AM
Yea my girlfriends runs like new with 223,xxx

88LXI
11-22-2002, 06:17 AM
:toilet: sounds like a rod dude!

4DoorAccordDX
11-22-2002, 11:29 PM
Well, I was thinking/hoping it was just a broken valve spring or something so I took the valve cover off, but everything looked and felt decent. So with the hood up, valve cover off, and my dad standing in front I started it up. It knocked really loud, but then got quieter, but it was still knocking. My dad said that the knocking sounded like it was coming from somewhere near the bottom, not from the valves near the top. I let it run a bit, revved it a bit, and watched oil shoot everywhere.:stupid: Then finally turned it off after coming to the conclusion that it wasn't a valve or anything like that. So I am guesing that I spun a bearing. Sound right? :crying: So now I'm thinking that I might just pull the engine, throw in a cheap crank kit with new berings, drop the engine back in and get rid of it. Whatchya think? I wouldn't be able to sell it with it knocking like that. "Uh yeah, well I think that, uh, knocking is just a misadjusted valve." If anyone knows anything about engines, they wouldn't believe that b.s. :stick: So, what should I do? Cheap crank kit and sell it? Any suggestions welcome.

4DoorAccordDX

YK86
11-23-2002, 12:09 AM
Have you thought about just dropping a used engine in it?? Might be cheaper than patching up the current engine. Around here, a good carbed engine out of an 86 with 3 months warranty would be about $300.

maka_RTH
11-23-2002, 12:14 AM
or a b16...

4DoorAccordDX
11-23-2002, 12:14 AM
I've thought a little about that. I called around on a rebuilt one, but that's about $725. Where in general could I get a used one? Most places sell rebuilt engines, and I don't want to get another set of problems. If I could throw a couple hundred into it and sell it for around $1500 or so I would be fine with that. But I am open to suggestions.

4DoorAccordDX

YK86
11-23-2002, 12:59 AM
Phone around local wreckers. Don't phone shops unless you trust them since they will obviously reccomend you get an expensive rebuilt one. A good low mileage one with warranty is just as good as a rebuild.

AZmike
11-23-2002, 01:25 AM
If you get a used engine (what I would do) you may want to replace your crank and cam seals before you install it. Use wears out the internals (would still be good), but time can wear out the seals (15 years is a long time).

PortugalHonda
11-23-2002, 08:43 AM
if it were a broken valveud hear a tap-tap-tap... not like a knocking noise.... might be a cracked piston.. u can tell this if you notice a severe power reduction in your car, that sounds about right tho if you let off the gas and it drops a few RPM right away. The other 3 pistons have problems pushing the one that's not working do it has a dramatic drop in power... the knocking doesnt sound good but I might suggest new plugs wires, cap and rotor. I dunno if that will do anything for you but there is a possiblity that the power loss is due to poor electrical current to your engine... but 3gs arent that hard to find

Greg
12-01-2002, 11:53 AM
You know, you might want to check your timing before you start getting rid of everything.

How do you know that the previous owner didn't install the t-belt wrong or something like that?

I'd check the timing with gun to see that it's up to spec. Maybe your distributor is adjusted way off too?? (although I doubt it's the latter from your description. It sounds real bad).

Greg
12-01-2002, 11:55 AM
Well, I didn't see that it ran well for 2 months before this happened.

Well, shit, check your timing anyway, but everyone else is probably right and maybe it's a bad piston???

Immeraufdemhund
12-02-2002, 06:11 AM
725 for a rebuilt one is crap. I'd call an import auto parts and ask them about the engine. Here in TN an engine from Japan with 30,000 miles and a 5 year warrenty is like $785. I'd do what yk86 says and find one that looks clean from a wreker for 300. Personally i'd stick with Lx-i or Se-i if you were going to get a new car. I say that because I like fuel injected more then carb, but that's a personal choice.