PDA

View Full Version : cam gear hardware question

'A20A3'
02-08-2014, 04:24 PM
There is light surface rust on the 4 adjuster bolts on my GE cam gear from lots of tuning and then sitting for along time. I have 4 stainless allen bolts to replace them with because the surface rust irks the crap out of me. Im unsure if these new stainless bolts are grade 8 hardness and im wondering if it will be okay? Thoughts guys?

Tdurr
02-09-2014, 02:47 AM
The allen bolts should still gave a grade marking. Im not sure where it would be at.

cygnus x-1
02-10-2014, 10:33 AM
There is light surface rust on the 4 adjuster bolts on my GE cam gear from lots of tuning and then sitting for along time. I have 4 stainless allen bolts to replace them with because the surface rust irks the crap out of me. Im unsure if these new stainless bolts are grade 8 hardness and im wondering if it will be okay? Thoughts guys?

If they're stainless they aren't grade 8, and probably not even grade 5. Stainless screws are pretty soft compared to most "normal" steel screws. Those screws on your cam pulley (assuming they're the 12-point type) are actually even harder than grade 8. As far as what would be "good enough"; I would think grade 8 should be plenty. The bigger issue is deforming the aluminum around the slots where the screws go in. Ideally you would want to use flange head bolts to spread the load (like many of the OEM screws), but those can be hard to find. Thick hardened washers with regular grade 8 hex screws is probably the best you will be able to find locally.

C|

Tdurr
02-10-2014, 11:03 AM
take one to ace. they should have something that will suffice.

cygnus x-1
02-11-2014, 09:32 AM
take one to ace. they should have something that will suffice.

Ace is definitely your best bet locally. Or you can order from McMaster Carr if you don't mind buying a whole box.

C|

'A20A3'
02-11-2014, 09:50 AM
I went to Fastenal for these. They look great. But yeah im not really trying to bend valves over how my bolts look haha

Think I might just try to clean up these original 12 point bolts, the rust is minimal I can prolly just wire brush it, then just stay up on my underhood detailing to keep the corrosion away

cygnus x-1
02-12-2014, 06:59 AM
One thing you could try if you're willing to put some effort into it is to get a zinc plating kit from Caswell. Then you could zinc plate anything that you wanted to keep from rusting.

Copy Cad® & Zinc Plating Kits - Electroplating & Anodizing - Caswell Inc (http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/zinc-plating-kits.html)

C|

2ndGenGuy
02-13-2014, 10:19 PM
Damn, that's cool. $200 to annodize your own shit! Would be killer to go over every nut and bolt in the engine bay.

JohnBoy
04-14-2014, 06:58 PM
zinc is good . but I've been using aluminum oxide in my sand blaster and it works just as good but don't breath it in.