PDA

View Full Version : Where to put 6x9s? Where to run wires for amp?

4DoorAccordDX
11-22-2002, 12:51 AM
As of now, my system consists of a 180w Clarion deck, and Concept 6.5s front and back. I have some 6x9s and a little 120w amp sitting in my Ranger out back, just collecting dust. Where is a good place to mount the 6x9s? and where do you guys run the wire for your amp(s) without it being visible? (I want to mount the amp somewhere in the back.) Eventually I would like to get a couple 12s in the trunk with a 500w amp, but that'll come later. Also, what do the rest of you think of my current setup? My deck isn't top of the line, but it does what I need it to, but it kinda sucks at night cuz that thing is BRIGHT! I hadn't heard of Concept until my brother got a couple 10in subs in his truck a while back, a couple days later I got my 6.5s front and back, they sound alright. Just curious what the rest of you thought. Also I was told that my 6.5s could handle 500w, does that sound right? That seems like alot for 6.5s. I couldn't find anyhting on the box or anywhere that said that, but that is what I was told. Maybe it was 500w per box, and there's 2 speakers per box = 250w per speaker? OK, that's enough from me.

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

4DoorAccordDX

These are my speakers: http://conceptcaraudiovideo.com/product_detail.asp?Category=CO-AX&ModelNo=CFA-650

For those of you who like visual aids

cdscowboy
11-22-2002, 02:55 AM
I've never heard of Concept before...but if they work, whatever, man. They look alright throught that link... I don't know about the sedans, but the coupes at least have a spot made specifically for 6x9s on the back deck behind the rear seats. They're pretty easy to switch out. Other than that I don't know where you'd put them....maybe do something custom in the door panels?? Not sure...
My amp is mounted in the trunk, and the wires run up through the hump in the middle of the car, under the carpet. It was kinda a pain in the ass to do...you have to be pretty clever with it. PM me and I'll explain it in detail if you want. but yeah, nothing shows or anything, so I'm pleased with it.
Your deck is probably good enough for what you got right now. If you're gonna trick out your system, you might want to move up a little bit.
I would be hesitant to put 500W through those 6.5"s. It just scares me!! But if you have the option, if you could rig up a 4-channel amp to all of your speakers, it'd help out a whole lot. It'll give them more power, clearing up their sound and just making them better all around.
I could talk forever about stereos...so IM me on AIM if you want...I have the same name as on here.

ALSO: I notice you're in Estacada... There's another thread here: http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9168 You should try and make it to the meet!!! It's not that far of a drive for you, I don't think, and it'd be a great way to meet some of the guys from here. Post something there if you can make it, so we have an idea of how many people to expect!! Welcome to the board, man!

shepherd79
11-22-2002, 05:14 AM
ok, some people on this board have 6.5" all the way around and 6x9 on the back. they put them between two stock speakers. they had to cut into the back dash.
Concept, i never heard of them, but they look ok. I would even try running 500watts into them. i am sure they will blow up. plus you don't want to run this much power to regular speakers.
500W is a peak power for both of them. you will reach peak power for a less than a second for most of the time. i would say about 50W per RMS channel should be fine.
about the power to the amps. i have my power going on the passenger side of the car. i just lifted the carped a little and showed the power under it.

87AccordsterLx
11-23-2002, 06:52 PM
I custom cut a pair of 6x9's into my rear deck inbetween the 6's like shepherd said... I dont have pics at the moment but I dont mind helping you out with it... they are running off of a 120w fosgate punch amp... My deck is a Alpine CDA-7893 60x4w pushing 4 6inch speakers and 2 tweets and I have a 420w Interfire amp pushing two 12ich pioneer IMPPS rated 600w ea.

3rdGenMartyr
11-24-2002, 06:38 PM
i just put in a set of kenwood 3-way 6x9's in my ride today, after taking the whole assembly apart which is more time consuming than it should be, i revealed two perfectly good 6x9's, my kenwoods fit right into the stock spaces and i just put them back in and wired them up, maybe it's an option to get 6x9's instead of the 6.5's, my only problem is that the covers are to low set to put back on over the 3-ways, any help on this problem, it doent look as clean as i would like it to

as for the concepts, theyre 500 watt peak, which means you can get that much power with one sound or track running through them, but they are 200 watts for listening purposes which is damn good for 6.5's, my buddy has a Concept amp that he bought from a friend and it kicks ass, except there is no writing on the amp to let him know how much it is pushing

1989se-i
11-25-2002, 11:46 AM
my grills wont fit over my 3-way 6x9's either. :(