PDA

View Full Version : replaciing upper ball joints

Mantis88LX
11-22-2002, 05:43 PM
How hard is this to do and what if any problems may i run into while doing this.

markmdz89hatch
11-22-2002, 10:54 PM
I'm assuming ur talking about the front? if that's the case, just buy new control arms with ball joints.. It's much easier (and cheaper) that way. And to change those is easy, prolly 1/2 hour per side, maybe 45 min. All you'll need other then standard tools is a ball-joint separator. Just take off the wheel, I'd also remove the two 10mm. retaining screws for the brake line from the knuckle, remove the dust/dirt cover from the upper b/j (2 10mm. bolts) pull the cotter-pin, use a 17mm. to take the nut off. Under the hood on the strut tower, remove the two nuts that hold the control arm on (14mm. I think), now use the b/j separator and pop the b/j. Move the knuckle away just enough to remove the lower half of the b/j from the knuckle, and the entire control arm should come right out. Replace with new, and reverse removal instructions. Ur done!

Mantis88LX
11-23-2002, 09:56 AM
were can i buy new control arms with ball joints? i dont want the prelude ones if thats what u are talking about.

pimp86LX
11-23-2002, 03:40 PM
ok i'm having some problems with my front passenger side suspention, I'm 95% sure its the ball joint, so i want to replace it. now heres the important question:

do you have to touch the spring at all? ie) use a compresser to remove etc etc

i ask this beacuse my bud with a 91 accord said you absolutely have to, but when i look at it i'm just not sure

HELp! :D

anchovies
11-24-2002, 12:43 AM
No, you don't have to use a spring compressor or anything else either than what markmdz89hatch has said. You can get aftermarket upper arms from any autoparts store or from Honda if you want OEM.

anchovies
11-24-2002, 12:43 AM
No, you don't have to use a spring compressor or anything else either than what markmdz89hatch has said. You can get aftermarket upper arms from any autoparts store or from Honda if you want OEM.

markmdz89hatch
11-24-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Mantis88LX
were can i buy new control arms with ball joints? i dont want the prelude ones if thats what u are talking about.

Hey Mantis, if you want (after "re-find" them in my stack of parts), I have a full (new) set of front upper control arms w/ new ball joints. They're not "Honda", but are an OEM replacement. I'll sell 'em to you for $20 +shipping.

Mantis88LX
11-25-2002, 10:25 AM
ill take them whats your e-mail

Mantis88LX
11-25-2002, 10:26 AM
also even tho they are not oem are they safe? and how long do these things last

anchovies
11-25-2002, 01:32 PM
The aftermarkets should have limited lifetime warranties on them. So they should be quite safe. But nothing is for certain :D

Chris86Lxi
11-27-2002, 04:51 PM
Hey man, i'll give ya $40 for the set plus shipping if ya want. I need some sooooo bad. I'm literally afraid to drive my car anywhere. Just an offer though...

Thanks,

Chris

Mantis88LX
11-28-2002, 12:30 PM
dude i cant drive my car at all my are so bad, and we have already set up the buy, check ebay for some.
not to be a ass but i need these and he offered them to me first.

greekguy7
12-03-2002, 09:33 AM
The only issue with replacing the upper control arms is the fact that you have to removing the shaft off the old ones and tranfer to the new ones. This requires a vice and stuff to do the bench work to press out the bushings. Is this correct?? I havent seen any ones where u can buy it all installed

rbeaud
12-04-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Mantis88LX
dude i cant drive my car at all my are so bad, and we have already set up the buy, check ebay for some.
not to be a ass but i need these and he offered them to me first.

Why can't you drive your car? I'm asking because I would like to know what to look for in the future if (when) mine go bad.

Cheers,

Roland

ACCORD EX
12-04-2002, 11:15 AM
becasue if they fail while driving , very bad things could happen to you ! like happend to Oldschool's car !

MIKE

rbeaud
12-04-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
becasue if they fail while driving , very bad things could happen to you ! like happend to Oldschool's car !

MIKE

Fine. Is the impending failure observable while driving the car? Or is this an inspection item?

Cheers,

Roland

anchovies
12-05-2002, 12:30 AM
Is an inspection item. But sometimes it will click which means the joint is loose.