PDA

View Full Version : piston slap ?

89LXIto91PreludeSI
11-23-2002, 07:18 AM
i so miss my 89 accord....... :(

so i got a 91 prelude from a local dealer, as-is of course..

well theres been a semi-loud clicking noise from under the hood, and i took it to a local honda dealership and had the valves adjusted thinkin that was the problem. and it wasnt.
damn that was 75 bucks down the drain.

but they said the noise im hearing is from piston slap, or somthin like that. now im taking that since its a noise coming from inside the engine = bad news, lotsa money probably. :(

so what i was wondering was can any of you clue me in on what piston slap actually is and what are my options /

thanks for any help

guaynabo89
11-23-2002, 08:42 AM
Piston slap = rebuild:(

The piston doesn't fit snug in the bore from wear, and kinda bounces to the sides while its traveling up and down the bore.

DoktorC
11-23-2002, 08:54 AM
This is a common problem with the b21a1..They also burn alot of oil. I've got one of these cars myself and it sounds terrible but I've been driving it for a long time in this condition...easily mind you. I love the car and there are alot of engines floating around so I would (and am) look for a b20a5 which is the '88-89 lude engine or the JDM b20a to swap in. You've got time but I wouldn't push the car too hard. If you've got any other questions e-mail me I've had this car for awhile and have experienced almost every 3G lude problem :)

Sabz5150
11-23-2002, 01:32 PM
My engine has what sounded like piston slap, but it wound up being a REAL loose timing belt smackin around all over the cover. Might wanna check that belt while you're at it.

89LXIto91PreludeSI
11-23-2002, 06:41 PM
the noise only happens when i accelerate, and i cant never hear it really when im at idly or if i take my foot off the gas. would a loose timeing belt be like that as well ?

ill have the belt checked on monday, that would be cool if thats all it was. but im not keepin my hopes up. hehh ^_^
thanks again

89LXIto91PreludeSI
11-23-2002, 07:12 PM
just was wondering if maybe a noise like this couldbe cause by a crack or somthin wrong with the flywheel ?

my first car was a 81 grand prix, and at one time i had a crack in the flywheel, and it was a loud clickin noise that got louder when i drove faster..

im just trying to figure out all the possabilities it could be before i shell out any more money to have diffrent shops help determin what it actually is

mindlos
11-24-2002, 08:20 PM
I dont know anything about piston slap and wont pretend either. Have you ruled out pinging since you say it happens when you accelerate? Does it sound like popping pop-corn?

socal3rdgen
11-24-2002, 08:51 PM
my sound sounds like a clack clack clack clack. but boredrec, bolink, wickedaccord, and others looked at my car. in the socal 3g meet. and said it sounds liek th timing belt.

89LXIto91PreludeSI
11-25-2002, 03:44 AM
heh, i would love for one of you guys to look at my car hehe, but i dont think any of ya are near eugene Oregon.

rocky2
11-25-2002, 05:49 AM
You could elimiate the moving parts by taking off alternater belt and power steering belt and test drive it . Sometimes a load on these when accelerating causes a noise. But if the wrist pins on rod/pistons are worn theres nothing left to do but STP. And keep driving it till she blows.

AccordEpicenter
11-25-2002, 07:16 PM
If it was piston slap youd prolly hear it at idle or any speed. You might wanna try and see if your ignition timing is good, if its just a degree or 2 off your advance can make it knock ever so slightly when it advances for acceleration, like if you ever had the head ground if it warped, you should re time. Another thing to check is the distributor itself,these can get really ticking and noisy before they fail. My current car had a funny ticking noise a few weeks ago that only happend at 2000 rpm+ and it turned out to be the water pump (bearings were about to fall out of it, it was shot).

89LXIto91PreludeSI
11-26-2002, 07:06 AM
thnx alot for the info and help guys, i hope to have a machanic friend check a few of these out for me by friday i hope ^_^

martik
04-14-2003, 06:59 PM
[I have had piston slap for 5+ years and over 100,000 kms. It goes away after warming up for 5 mins. Dealer says it is nothing to worry about

thegreatdane
04-15-2003, 08:18 AM
It could sound as if your ignition timing is bad and its knocking. It would have been nice if the ignition was electronic on the 3geez...

AccordEpicenter
04-15-2003, 11:34 AM
thats where i would start

meohmy01
04-15-2003, 11:59 AM
i have a 95 1/2 honda passport that does the same thing.it only has 84k on it but it like a constant tapping from under the hood. it doesn't seem to change much while excelerating.

thegreatdane
04-16-2003, 06:00 AM
meohmy-->
Maybe your valves needs an adjustment really bad. Have you tried opening the hood with the engine running and then listened to the valve cover? You can use a screwdriver to listen what valves are ticking. Just take the "grip" end of the srewdriver to your ear and the metal end at the valve cover, and move it around the cover.