PDA

View Full Version : starting problem,or clutch problem

LIL'LXi
11-23-2002, 07:44 AM
On my '87 lxi I can put the car in neutral and without pushing in the clutch the car will start, if in gear it will lurch foward without pushing in the clutch. I've had several straight shifts before and none would do this not even my '91 accord, so is this normal for this car or is somthing wrong?

mzabeefy
11-23-2002, 07:54 AM
my '86 lx-i does the same thing, if that's any help

86AccordLxi
11-23-2002, 07:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that's normal. Mine does the same thing as well.

Alex

dXsquared
11-23-2002, 10:04 AM
there is a clutch start switch. if it breaks or gets disconected, you can start the car in Neutral. if not, you must push in the clutch. its a safety thang and most older cars have theres broken or removed.

Travis

ACCORD EX
11-25-2002, 06:23 AM
you guys kiddin !?
you mean that it lurch forward when starting in gear !??
that's normal , very normal ! beacuse when you start your engine the flywheel turns so the clutch disc turns , so if in gear it will try to turn the wheels too but it doesn't have enough power so it just lurchs forward !

MIKE

doug
11-25-2002, 06:36 AM
remember those sears diehard commercials were they freeze a car in a block of ice and then start it? they thought that was a real test of a batteries strength. back in the late sixties me and my friends would race our VWs using just the starter motor. we'd take out the plugs and then line up in the school parking lot and see how many laps we could do before either the starter burned out or the battery died. It was great fun. those were our first electric cars, me and my buds were bleeding edge freaks. everything was so cheap then it was all about experimentation.

AccordEpicenter
11-25-2002, 07:18 PM
Yeah its normal to be able to start these cars without touching the clutch... just push down the pedal before you start, no biggie. It woke me up in the morning when i forgot to do it... it makes life interesting

shepherd79
11-26-2002, 04:58 AM
i don't think we have this clutch switch, or at least i don't have on m car. i know Toyota put them on eevry car.

AZmike
11-26-2002, 09:12 AM
I know I have one. It still works too.