PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust woes

Strangeduck
02-21-2014, 03:47 PM
So the muffler shop says my muffler is fine and the reason it is noisy is someone replaced the catalytic converter with straight pipe. Now they can only get a "universal" fit for $170 if i want to go back to having one. I really do not want to hear my exhaust but i don't want to spend $170+labor because they say it will make it quiet again.

You guys have any experience with this? Should i bite the bullet and have them put it on? Should i buy a better muffler? My current one is one of those $50 models, just a generic muffler. OEM one is about $90. I don't want to spend $90 to find out i have to spend $170+ afterwards.

Hope you guys can get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks

edit: spelling

Vanilla Sky
02-23-2014, 04:52 PM
If you want to stay cat-free, have a resonator installed. They go a long way to reduce the raspiness of the typical uncorked exhaust.

cygnus x-1
02-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Yep, you need something other than a straight pipe in place of the cat. Could be another cat, resonator, glass pack, small muffler, any of those will work.

C|

RAZR
02-24-2014, 10:53 AM
Yep, you need something other than a straight pipe in place of the cat. Could be another cat, resonator, glass pack, small muffler, any of those will work.

C|

do you know of any good resonators that sound better or worse on our engines? or will just about any glass pack work?

Vanilla Sky
02-24-2014, 03:45 PM
A resonator is basically an exhaust pipe with an increased size in the middle. They're pretty generic.

cygnus x-1
02-25-2014, 10:24 AM
And a glass pack is just a resonator with some fiberglass inside. The bigger is better rule generally applies to sound deadening though. The bigger the device, the quieter it will be.

C|