PDA

View Full Version : whats the real mpg deal with the webers? and other related questions

Richard D Miller
02-22-2014, 12:18 AM
greetings

I am getting really close to buying a carb and have been studying the differences between the 32/36 and the 38.

On our forum the consensus is that the 38 is just slightly less MPG than the 32/36. but performance is remarkable with the 38. Other forums, non Honda mind you say the 38s are pure gas hogs compared to the 32/36. Is there magic with an Accord or what?

I would like to get the 38/38 weber but I am hoping to get over 30 mpg freeway. ( I have a manual tranny) and I do not plan to do any modifications to the engine. Is the 38 still a good choice for a daily driver?

will a stock spec fuel pump play well with both the 38 and the 32/36?

Any one have troubles with Carbs Unlimited out of Auburn WA?

I plan on buying very soon. so this is just beating me around.

Thank you.

Richard Miller

MessyHonda
02-22-2014, 10:14 AM
every car is different. but usually the DX model gets good gas mileage because it have manual door locks and windows with out the extra francy trim. You would need to get a wide band to jet the carb to make sure you have optium gas performance. also converting to megajolt will help with tuning the car.

Richard D Miller
02-22-2014, 11:59 AM
never heard of the megajolt, I will look this up. I do think the 32/36 is going to be my solution

MessyHonda
02-22-2014, 12:14 PM
our cars came with Vacumm advance distributors and they are not the best when it comes down to performance. I was able to get around 33-35mpg on my DX with stock carb but it would only be good on hot days.

2oodoor
02-22-2014, 02:02 PM
You can advance the base ign timing a good bit whrn you use either carb that gets your mpg and it takes very light throttle to make motion. I believe itzdave was getting well over 30 mpg.hwy when he was using a 38 on the white dx hatch before he went with dcoe's.

cygnus x-1
02-24-2014, 09:50 AM
On my Prelude I think I got around 26MPG with the Weber 38. The biggest problem honestly is that it's SO fun to drive that it's nearly impossible to keep from flooring it on occasion, which of course wastes fuel.

Advancing the distributor a little will help fuel mileage. Switching to a Megajolt ignition system may help your mileage a bit but will require some tuning. You can always do that later though so try it with the distributor first. For mileage the other thing you want to do is to make sure the EGR system is working correctly. Most people disable it because it's an emissions component but it does help fuel mileage as well, and it won't affect top end power if it's working correctly.

Properly tuned I think you should be able to get 30MPG with the 38.

C|

Richard D Miller
03-23-2014, 11:26 AM
32/36 weber installed: got 32.4 mpg.

kompressor
06-10-2014, 11:27 PM
What are the prices for the 32/36?

And the 38?

conozo
06-11-2014, 05:30 PM
I keep meticulous records of gas mileage and I have always averaged 26.7, after the weber carb 32/36 my mileage did not increase or decrease at all. It felt like it was faster and therefore i drove a little faster but still maintained the same mileage.

My car is a DX sedan with automatic transmission.