PDA

View Full Version : Auto to 5 Speed conversion question (for those that have done it)

RCracer
11-23-2002, 10:25 AM
When you changed from Auto to 5 Speed did you change the exhaust heat sheild that goes over the part of the gear change that bolts to the floor?
I have started my B20a swap (swaping to 5 speed from auto at the same time). I will be ready to pull the A20a2 out tommorow (weather permiting)
Am I going to have to change/remove part of the heat sheild?
Is there enough room for the gear change rods with the Auto heat sheild & are there going to be any problems bolting the gear change in place of the auto selector housing?

markmdz89hatch
11-23-2002, 10:37 AM
nope no trouble at all.. ...i stayed with my stock auto heat shield and the shift rods fit behind it fine. No worries there. As for the gear selector/shifter area, you'll be fine. It's just a pain in the ass to pull out the auto selector. Other then that, as long as you have ur donor car parts, ur good. Did you remember to grab the little shield that covers that opening where the shift rods come up through? Ur gonna need that. Also with the 5spd. there's a little bracket that you need to mount onto that piece where the two bolts come up through to hold the shift rods in place. That bracket is so you can screw in the plastic finishing piece of the center console to it.

A20A1
11-23-2002, 11:22 AM
I'm going to be pulling parts from a 5-speed donor... I'm getting the motor and trans... but is the list in the how-to section complete or what else should I get off the 5-speed. I just need the 5-speed to function right... I'm not worried about making it look factory.

88LXi68
11-23-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
nope no trouble at all.. ...i stayed with my stock auto heat shield and the shift rods fit behind it fine. No worries there. As for the gear selector/shifter area, you'll be fine. It's just a pain in the ass to pull out the auto selector. Other then that, as long as you have ur donor car parts, ur good. Did you remember to grab the little shield that covers that opening where the shift rods come up through? Ur gonna need that. Also with the 5spd. there's a little bracket that you need to mount onto that piece where the two bolts come up through to hold the shift rods in place. That bracket is so you can screw in the plastic finishing piece of the center console to it.

:werd: :wave:

markmdz89hatch
11-23-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by A20A1
I'm going to be pulling parts from a 5-speed donor... I'm getting the motor and trans... but is the list in the how-to section complete or what else should I get off the 5-speed. I just need the 5-speed to function right... I'm not worried about making it look factory.

I just looked over the how-to on it. It could use a little update and more of a "list", but that's just me being picky. Yeah, that how-to should keep you in line. It'll be fine. If you have any Q's about it, I know that Yasu, Steve (aka. 88lxi68) and myself have done this swap. (yasu did a full engine/tranny removal/swap, but steve and I each did just a tranny swap). If you have a carbed motor, there's no need for an ECU swap b/c it serves no purpose on our cars to my knowledge.