PDA

View Full Version : Carb issues? HELP!

TyCurtiss
02-26-2014, 02:32 PM
Hi! I have an 84 Prelude and its acting up. It sounds like its choking, spits, sputters, and sounds like a subaru untill I hit WOT and around 2500 rpm,en I do it pulls like a raped ape most of the time. It does have a bad head gasket but its so so bad that I thing its causing compression issues. This issue came about after I sprayed a little carb cleaner in the carb after changing the oil as part of a tune up. ANY help is so greatly appreciated!

Dr_Snooz
02-26-2014, 07:36 PM
I think that head gasket is the place to start. If the issue remains after that, then we can go from there.

Hazwan
02-26-2014, 08:31 PM
It could be you dislodged some dirt and crap in the carb by spraying the carb cleaner and its now clogging some passage or something because you said it happens right after that. How do you know that you have a bad headgasket?

2oodoor
02-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Wow an 84, may have rust in the tank and who knows what, complete fuel system cleaning wouldnt hurt

TyCurtiss
02-28-2014, 01:26 PM
I meant to say its not so bad that its causing compression issues. It uses water and it comes out the tail pipe. I'm gonna do the head gasket tomorrow and clean the carbs out really well while im at it. Its much much worse today. It barely wants to run but it sounds like the carbs are suuuuper clogged up. Thanks for the tips everyone! Also does anyone know much about doing an emissions and vacuum delete?

Hazwan
02-28-2014, 02:58 PM
It could be the headgasket getting a lot worse now and it refuses to run at all. Can't help much with the emission and vaccum stuff but this might help if you haven't seen it Untangling the spaghetti and removing unnecessaries... - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums (http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294118)

Also, I'd check the pistons and make sure they slide up/down smoothly. Mine would get stuck at 1/4 opening randomly and the car would run weird with it. You really have to clean the pistons out and even the tiniest bit of crap would get it stuck or not moving properly