PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Accord Lxi Defroster not switching over

Blainethemono
02-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Hello Guys & Gals, Mr. Rarely Poster here.. This one has me a bit stumped, but I think I am one the right track. Dashboard control unit no longer switches between selections, (heater, defrost, hi/low), and I don't hear that lil "ssss" when the switch over occurs. Already tried r&r'ing the Control Unit, fuses, blah, blah, blah.. nada, so upon searching the Interweb, I found a possible single point of failure that appears to be a lil "blower resistor switch" behind the dash panel, to the left of the glove box. Am I on the right track here, and if not, Thanx in advance for letting me tap into your collective Brain Trust....

http://thisboardrocks.com/forum/images/smilies/PubDrink.gif

2oodoor
02-27-2014, 11:09 AM
[QUOTE=Blainethemono;1145818]Hello Guys & Gals, Mr. Rarely Poster here.. This one has me a bit stumped, but I think I am one the right track. Dashboard control unit no longer switches between selections, (heater, defrost, hi/low), and I don't hear that lil "ssss" when the switch over occurs. Already tried r&r'ing the Control Unit, fuses, blah, blah, blah.. nada, so upon searching the Interweb, I found a possible single point of failure that appears to be a lil "blower resistor switch" behind the dash panel, to the left of the glove box. Am I on the right track here, and if not, Thanx in advance for letting me tap into your collective Brain Trust....[QUOTE]

The blower resistor has little to do with blend doors, it controls fan speed. Try checking the connections.
these are canceling switches which can wear out, springs inside rust and plastic cracks, a used one from a salvage car worse case scenero

Blainethemono
06-16-2014, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=Blainethemono;1145818]Hello Guys & Gals, Mr. Rarely Poster here.. This one has me a bit stumped, but I think I am one the right track. Dashboard control unit no longer switches between selections, (heater, defrost, hi/low), and I don't hear that lil "ssss" when the switch over occurs. Already tried r&r'ing the Control Unit, fuses, blah, blah, blah.. nada, so upon searching the Interweb, I found a possible single point of failure that appears to be a lil "blower resistor switch" behind the dash panel, to the left of the glove box. Am I on the right track here, and if not, Thanx in advance for letting me tap into your collective Brain Trust....[QUOTE]

The blower resistor has little to do with blend doors, it controls fan speed. Try checking the connections.
these are canceling switches which can wear out, springs inside rust and plastic cracks, a used one from a salvage car worse case scenero

Thanx for the input 2oodoor. I am looking at the heat/def solenoid and/or the heat/def switch as most likely points of failure. Logic dictates to me, that once the defrost climate control button is pushed and a voltage is signal is sent, 1st in line is the heat/defrost solenoid, that activates a diaphragm... My thinking is that the diaphragm moves the vent into position to redirect the air flow

Ill let you guys know what I find out.