PDA

View Full Version : intake manifold removal hints

Richard D Miller
02-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Im in the process of ye ole weber installation. I would like to remove the intake manifold so I can port it out . the cursed under the manifold nuts are killing me. Any pointers? Specialty tools? What do you guys use?

cygnus x-1
02-28-2014, 09:42 AM
Anything that works. LOL! Best is usually a short socket, then a u-joint, then a long extension to the ratchet. If you can get a socket with a built in u-joint that's even better.

C|

2ndGenGuy
02-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Yeah, for me it was a different implement for each bolt on the back of the manifold.

2oodoor
02-28-2014, 03:40 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/carb-tech/65894-manifold-egrodomy.html
i figured you could appreciate this thread :) those expensive u joint short sockets are golden btw. I made a socket super thin to reach that nut on the end on tbe passger side then after the manifold was off I trimmd off some material to allow socket clearance.

Richard D Miller
02-28-2014, 06:19 PM
DONE!

What worked for me was to put the car on jacks, drain the oil and remove the oil filter. This gave my hands the room i needed (barely) to use a 12mm box end wrench. I also used a propane torch (for plumbing) to loosen the egr pipe. To pull the egr pipe out of the way from the manifold I used a C-clamp and pilled the egr pipe away from the manifold. I will try to post pictures if it is necessary.

Thank you all who have helped in this thread. I am going though a bit of a project. I think Im going to change the alternator as long as this deep into this project.