PDA

View Full Version : How to wire Power folding mirrors

Chrome_thangs
11-23-2002, 08:19 PM
I'm expecting mirrors in any day now so i'm wondering how to run them so they close when i cut the car off, but open when i start it. Also i was wondering if i could run them like that and still be able to operate them by the button?

jigga225
11-24-2002, 11:16 PM
so you mean u wanna go around flappin yo mirrors??
nah
on the real tho, you could just wire them to an accesory output comin from your fusebox (radio) and then they would cut off whenever the car cut off

Ihave a Q, what in the hell are foldin mirrors? what do they do/why get them?? do they fold in like little wings or somethin?
I just dont undastand? link?

Sabz5150
11-24-2002, 11:40 PM
Basically, they fold in the same way our breakaway mirrors do, but they are powered. So yes, he wants to go around flappin his mirrors. It's a pimp factor thing :p

Chrome_thangs
11-25-2002, 12:31 AM
Ya, really doesn't serve a purpose. Just cool as hell though!

YK86
11-25-2002, 12:36 AM
Considering none of us have one, it might be tough to find the answer LOL.

Chrome_thangs
11-25-2002, 12:43 AM
Ya, i know right!:rolleyes:

anchovies
11-25-2002, 01:08 AM
I was reading about alarm and accessories last couple of weeks, and what you mentioned is probably simple for those peeps who wire alarms for a living.You would probably need a relay that'll trigger when you shut off the car, just like how the alarm can wind up your window or lock the doors when you shut off the engine.

doug
11-25-2002, 03:34 AM
I was thinking a switch/relay like power antennas have, they go up when the radio gets power, down when it's turned off, seems like that could be adapted to your situation.

guaynabo89
11-25-2002, 06:15 AM
You might be able to wire it up with a window module for alarms.

If that control box that comes with it already has relays inside to control the folding you might be able to get away with a power lock relay.

I'm just guessing though. I don't know what the actual control box that you're supposed to be getting does.

RobT5580
11-25-2002, 09:54 AM
Your gonna have to bypass the existing switch because i assume you have to press that button to close them. I would keep it as the normal position because i dont think they are gonna take the daily use of opening/closing all the time plus they are not new as it is. You may burn out a motor over time then they are pointless.

Grant2k
11-25-2002, 09:58 AM
the actual purpose of those mirrors is so that in Japan they can fit into extrememly tight parking spaces, so they are made to be used pretty often. but i think that if they are going in and out every time you start it that may be a bit much. i don't know what they come with, but you may want to locate a Japanese dash switch for them. the easiest way (but not as cool) would be if you just do it yourself when you turn the car on and off.

socal3rdgen
11-25-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Grant2k
the actual purpose of those mirrors is so that in Japan they can fit into extrememly tight parking spaces, so they are made to be used pretty often. but i think that if they are going in and out every time you start it that may be a bit much. i don't know what they come with, but you may want to locate a Japanese dash switch for them. the easiest way (but not as cool) would be if you just do it yourself when you turn the car on and off.

damn you beat me to it. :flipa:

Chrome_thangs
11-25-2002, 01:12 PM
It comes w/ a relay and the JDM switch. I just don't know anything about relays or eletrical things. I need a walk through, if possible!

Immeraufdemhund
11-25-2002, 06:58 PM
dosh8er (chris) and I both work on that sort of stuff. he knows way more than i do, buti have more time then he does. there will be a way to use a relay, or an automatic switch, to close your mirrors when the power cuts off. It would have to have a delay in it so that when you start your car it doesn't move. Shouldn't be too hard. I'll start coming up with something for you. I'll need your help though because you'll have to "tap" into some of those wires on your switch.

ACCORD EX
11-26-2002, 02:07 AM
i think the problem is that the motor has to switch off when they are finished folding ( not keep on running until its shot ! )
if you find an answer to this problem then you can wire it to the power locks !

it's teh same idea like the antennas that go down when radio is off ! may be you can do a search on them !

MIKE

shepherd79
11-26-2002, 04:55 AM
look at paulaerodeck website. he has the manual for JDM accords. well they are Europe but i am sure you can find electrical that has folding mirrors.

Chrome_thangs
11-26-2002, 02:06 PM
Thanks Immeraufdemhund,
Anything you can come up w/ would be great! I desprately need the help>:D