PDA

View Full Version : Smokin'

86AccordLxi
11-23-2002, 09:15 PM
So today...I'm driving home and smoke starts coming out of my steering column...not a lot..but any is obviously too much. Yesterday I thought i smelled something burning, and this was apparently it. Also, after the smoke, my parking lights would not turn off. As a result, I went to the junkyard and picked up a new combination switch and swapped the burnt one out. Now, I think this new one might also be burning up, but i'm not quite sure. It heats up when the headlights are on..is this normal? Can you guys check to see if your combo-switch-box-thingy behind the steering wheel heats up too? Any idea on how to fix this? Thanks

dXsquared
11-23-2002, 09:21 PM
sounds like a shorting wire! check to see tht nothin is disconected!

Traviz

86AccordLxi
11-23-2002, 09:36 PM
where?

Alex

DoktorC
11-24-2002, 05:55 PM
Mine did that...check the light switch contacts, inside the steering column. The slide that makes contact gets dirty and greasey causing resistance and the wires to heat up. Thus the smoke..

86AccordLxi
11-24-2002, 06:25 PM
Ok doktor...thanks for your help. But I replaced the whole combination switch unit from the steering column...wouldn't that problem go away or is this "new" unit (from an 87) also defective? Or are the contacts you're talking about not in that combo. switch box?

Alex

DoktorC
11-24-2002, 06:53 PM
I should have read the whole post...Anyway, I'd still check the contact inside the switch, as well as, all the wires running to the switch. If they have melted, they might have melted together. I'd check it out.

smufguy
11-24-2002, 09:45 PM
the controller lever switches on the steering needs to have the grease in it. its not a regular grease its an electrical grease that prevents the contact points from wearing out in regular use.

IF anything melts its getting more AMPS than it is rated or can handle. check the fuse u got in for that. step it down a lil and see if it burns out. IF it does, then its getting way more power screwning with ur system. CHeck to see if the ground on the colum is pretty solid. a loose or a dirty or a corroded ground might cause spark and rough contact allowing current to stay in the line for a longer period frying things up. HOpe this helps.

86AccordLxi
11-24-2002, 10:06 PM
thanks so much smuf! I will go check that!!

Alex

rocky2
11-25-2002, 06:04 AM
You may want to consider changing out entire steering colum. Only problem is finding one at the boneyard with a key.

86AccordLxi
11-25-2002, 01:34 PM
Any other ideas guys?

Alex

Immeraufdemhund
11-25-2002, 06:47 PM
can't he just rip out his old key thing and put it in to the "new" steering column?