PDA

View Full Version : A series flywheel bolt pattern matches B series

clean87sedan
03-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Today I took my new flywheel to a local machine shop and left it there for them to check the balance and see if its good.
When I got there he said i needed to bring a crank to do it but they had a spare B series (not sure if b20, 18, 16, etc.) but the bolt pattern matched up exact! the only thing was the little dowel pin hole in the flywheel didn't line up with one on the b series flywheel but there didn't seem to be one.

Anyways.. wondering if this info has helped someone in researching this? I may do some research in my free time to see the differences between A series flywheels and B series and if a clutch can fit. If so it may help out majorly in getting lightened flywheels for us but don't think of it as so.. lol this could all be crazy talk. :ugh2:

I will take pics when I go back to pick it up!

obd0driver
03-03-2014, 08:49 PM
b series is 220mm. But I did a little Google research and Get ready for this. D series Is the same.
B-series flywheel? [Archive] - TheZCR.com Forums (http://www.thezcr.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-8267.html)

DOHC ZC 1988 clutch question [Archive] - CivicWagon.com forum (http://www.civicwagon.com/archive/index.php/t-16843.html)

Tdurr
03-03-2014, 09:37 PM
hmmm if b series are the same as D, then i can find out this week seeing how i have a d and a series motor and flywheels sitting in my basement.

obd0driver
03-03-2014, 11:29 PM
From how I was reading it all. A cable tranny D series flywheel and clutch kit should fit. Their all saying that all single cams are the same. The only thing I see being different it the bolt holes for the pressure plate. So as long as that's the same your golden.

cygnus x-1
03-04-2014, 10:10 AM
It would make some sense that the ZC clutch/flywheel would be compatible. That's the same transmission that we use for the Hybrid trans swap. I was just trolling Rockauto and the ZC also uses the same spline count on the gearbox input shaft, which is a good sign. But from '90 up everything is different. And the 88-91 Civic has a 20 spline input shaft. I suppose it *might* be possible to figure out some sort of bastard combination.

C|

obd0driver
03-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Well the clutch will work. And I don't think that the hardest thing to find for are cars. Now if the pressure plate matches up then we're on the something. I'll have to take my stock plate I've to my buddy's house and see.

obd0driver
03-04-2014, 07:56 PM
OK I tried to put a 92 and up clutch and pressure with a stock a20 flywheel not even close. But the flywheels seem to be close but I can't get my fly wheel off to test it

Charlie5280
03-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Thanks man. Will be curious to see what you find about the differences in the flywheels.

obd0driver
03-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Found out why it didn't work. 88 civic/crx has same matching clutch disk as ares. I was using 98 one lol. Now from digging more I've found that people are use 90+ flywheels and pressure plates with 3rd gen accord/2nd gen lude clutch disks for their Zc builds.

So in short if you would like to upgrade you flywheel you will need a 90+ civic with matching pressure plate and a 88 civic clutch disk. I will test this out at a later time.

clean87sedan
03-26-2014, 11:01 PM
That's a lot to think about but of you want the performance parts for cheaper then the accord, it helps!

obd0driver
03-27-2014, 06:15 AM
That's a lot to think about but of you want the performance parts for cheaper then the accord, it helps!

the clutch aren't much cheaper in some cases it the. This is all about performance this would give you more options for upgrading.

clean87sedan
03-27-2014, 07:47 AM
the clutch aren't much cheaper in some cases it the. This is all about performance this would give you more options for upgrading.

True like now we can use competition clutches that are made for d series and so many other options

JohnBoy
04-18-2014, 03:00 PM
now with switching the internals of the trans to b series. I was wondering if the internals for all b series are the same. not talking about gear ratios. more like main shaft and what not.

lostforawhile
04-18-2014, 05:45 PM
now let me get this straight, stock 90 plus flywheel with matching pressure plate and the 88 clutch disc? which 90 and up? and can someone pull up some competition clutch part numbers for all the clutch parts? throwout bearing is the same?

obd0driver
04-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Right. Just use the stock tb. And I would look at act's website they less a shot load of options and they tell you what the maximum amount of tq/hp the stuff can handle

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk