PDA

View Full Version : Resonator Question

89accordmeister
05-15-2002, 09:24 PM
what is inside that resonator....my cat is gutted....and my car is still very quiet....it changing the muffler tomorrow but if that doesnt do anything then thats my next item to look into...anybody know?????

DBMaster
05-16-2002, 08:18 AM
I believe it is nothing more than a perforated tube running through a slightly larger housing. From what I have read here removing it will not affect performance one way or the other, but it may give you an obnoxious high pitch exhaust sound.

My opinion is that it's best lef alone unless you are installing a cat back system. Personally, I am a bit too old to be driving around a fart cannon so I even went back with an OEM type muffler. Any performance gains I had with the turbo were all in my mind because I have not noticed any losses going back.

I have seen a lot of tasteful stuff done with these cars, but I have seen some pretty ridiculous exhaust work as well. to each his own...:)

DBMaster
05-16-2002, 08:31 AM
I promised I would stay out of this, but I have to say something. I guess having children has changed my outlook somewhat. I do not think that modern catalytic converters really hurt perfomance or fuel economy. However, gutting it negates any reduction in emissions that it accomplishes. It reduces carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide specifically. We are talking greenhouse gases and smog producing gases. You guys who live in California should be especially ashamed of yourselves if you are doing this. Here in Dallas I have seen our once bright blue skies turn brown on a hot summer day.

If you want to reduce back pressure, try a high flow cat, but please don't gut your cat. I realize that we are not talking about the environmental disaster equivalent of buying a Ford Excursion, but we all contribute. I feel pretty guilty all the time for having installed a test pipe on my dad's 79 Bonneville back in my younger days so my hands are not clean, either.

Cheating state inspections is no great feat, let me tell you.

Mantis88LX
05-16-2002, 08:56 AM
im gonna get my resonator replaced with a straight pipe soon, all i want this done for is for louder exaust, dont really expect performance gain