PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Accord LX - no power to fuel pump intermittently

Greg Dawson
03-04-2014, 12:10 PM
I'm having trouble with a 1988 Accord LX, and I can't find anything similar on the forums. A friend brought it over for a fuel pump. When I put power to the pump, it would only come on when i tapped on it, and even at that, it sounded very worn out. Like there were rocks in it. I didn't hear the original pump 'priming' for a bit when I turned the key. I put a new pump in, and it ran fine. 2 days later, I got a call saying it had the same symptoms. Wouldn't start, but ran on starting fluid. I picked up a 2nd pump figuring it was defective. Before doing anything, I hit the key a few times, and about the 5th time it started, and ran fine. I could hear it 'priming' for a second every time I hit the key. I figured I just had to refill the carb bowl. Assuming the pump may just had a bad spot in the windings, I replaced it anyway, as a precaution. Well, three days after that, it's doing the same thing again. I'm sure the original was bad, or on its way out to say the least, but the last 2 pumps work fine on direct dower, without tapping on them. What would cause the pump not to work, intermittently? What really throws me, is that it doesn't have any "drivability" issues. Once it starts, it runs and drives great. Doesn't die once it starts, just doesn't get fuel while starting, sometimes. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Dr_Snooz
03-04-2014, 07:31 PM
It really sounds like a bad connection/broken wire from what you are describing.

Charlie5280
03-04-2014, 09:36 PM
It really sounds like a bad connection/broken wire from what you are describing.

I agree 100%. Gonna have to break out the multimeter :(