PDA

View Full Version : So I Wanted A Sweet Retro Wood Shift Knob And...

Johnkowsky
03-04-2014, 06:10 PM
...I didn't want to sell my Grandma to get it.

In my internet adventures I stumbled across this page Wooden Gear Shift Knob by sonk - Thingiverse (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:109839). For those who don't know, Thingiverse is an online repository for 3D printable models, they have soooooo much stuff on there. Anyways, I run a 3D printing company, and I had some spare wood filament kicking around and I thought, hell why not! So, here is a photo comparing the knob fresh off the printer and after I stained and finished it.

And here it is installed:

I had to make some changes so it would fit the clip on the 3gee shift boot and the larger diameter of the shifter. I'll add the link to the file on Thingiverse once I finish making the model a little prettier.

Edit: Here's the link to the new inner: 3rd Gen Accord Insert For Wooden Shift Knob By Sonk by PurpleDrank - Thingiverse (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:264449)

If you have or have a buddy with a 3D printer capable of printing PLA you can probably print wood too get this done yourself pretty easily. Filament can be bought here: Printing materials | Voxel Factory (http://www.voxelfactory.com/collections/printing-materials/laywoo-d3) if you're in Canada or here: https://www.matterhackers.com/store/3d-printer-filament/175mm-wood-filament-light-cherry-0.25-kg if you're in the US.

You'll probably want to do the threaded insert (green thing in the last photo) in ABS because it's a bit stronger, but if you can't, make sure your infill is at least 50% for PLA.

I've got a few more ideas for printed goodies that I hope to debut to you guys this spring or summer, stay tuned...

Dr_Snooz
03-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Dude, print those up and sell them on here. Then start making some of the stuff listed here (http://www.3geez.com/forum/appearance/80113-hard-find-plastic-parts-pieces.html) and sell it. It's very cool that you have a 3D printer.

Charlie5280
03-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Damn....that is sick!

Tdurr
03-04-2014, 11:06 PM
legit! i need to get up on this 3d printer game. apparently there is one at my college i can possibly get ahold of :ninja:

Johnkowsky
03-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Thanks guys, now the next challenge is to figure out how to weight it. It only weighs 35 grams, and the stock shift knob is more than my scale can handle (>50 grams). I'm thinking of adding a cavity inside that I can put a lead fishing weight into or something. If I can get the knob around the same weight as stock, I'll produce a few and sell em to whoever wants one.

As for the small plastic bits, I'll keep that thread bookmarked and if I have any spare time I'll try make a few of those parts as well, or at least replicate parts to be used to cast the moulds!

Vanilla Sky
03-06-2014, 01:13 AM
How well would it hold up to molten lead? If you add a cavity for the lead, you can hit pretty much any weight you want. Lead is incredibly easy to work with.

cygnus x-1
03-06-2014, 09:51 AM
What you need is a steel chunk inside of it that also is threaded for the shift lever. That way you get the strength and weight you want.

C|

lostforawhile
03-07-2014, 03:38 AM
if I can find the stupid metric tap I got for making my shift knob, I can make you a steel insert, I just need the dimensions

Johnkowsky
03-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Not sure what temp lead melts at but the wood filament I'm using melts at ~190C.

I found some 1/4" diameter lead in a coil, I think it's for making your own fishing weights, anyways I've designed my own knob and added nine 1/4"X30mm cavities in the new design so I can pause the print, insert the lead bits and then continue and cover them up. We'll see how that goes, I'll post pictures when it's all done.

I have an M1x1.5 tap, perhaps if I can source some hex stock, I might be able to try it. Only awkward thing to deal with going that route is how the shifter graduates in diameter after the threads, and then I have to think about how to incorporate the clips for the shift boot so it doesn't rattle around.

lostforawhile
03-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Not sure what temp lead melts at but the wood filament I'm using melts at ~190C.

I found some 1/4" diameter lead in a coil, I think it's for making your own fishing weights, anyways I've designed my own knob and added nine 1/4"X30mm cavities in the new design so I can pause the print, insert the lead bits and then continue and cover them up. We'll see how that goes, I'll post pictures when it's all done.

I have an M1x1.5 tap, perhaps if I can source some hex stock, I might be able to try it. Only awkward thing to deal with going that route is how the shifter graduates in diameter after the threads, and then I have to think about how to incorporate the clips for the shift boot so it doesn't rattle around.

it's a straight thread, you remove the zip ties holding on the plastic piece on the inside of the shifter boot, remove it, flip the boot inside out, zip tie a piece of aluminum with a hole in it on to the boot and flip it right side out., fixes the problem and gets rid of the ugly square thing

Johnkowsky
03-17-2014, 08:36 PM
it's a straight thread, you remove the zip ties holding on the plastic piece on the inside of the shifter boot, remove it, flip the boot inside out, zip tie a piece of aluminum with a hole in it on to the boot and flip it right side out., fixes the problem and gets rid of the ugly square thing

I know thread is straight, but the shifter itself is larger in diameter than the threads the knob screws onto. I'm probably going to just replace the whole boot, it's definitely seen better days...just trying to think what kind of material I want to sew up to make it awesome...

Also, managed to get the lead embedded in the shift knob, but it was in the middle of a rush day and didn't get a chance to do a before and after pic. When I try to redo in wood, I'll take more pics.

lostforawhile
03-17-2014, 08:49 PM
I know thread is straight, but the shifter itself is larger in diameter than the threads the knob screws onto. I'm probably going to just replace the whole boot, it's definitely seen better days...just trying to think what kind of material I want to sew up to make it awesome...

Also, managed to get the lead embedded in the shift knob, but it was in the middle of a rush day and didn't get a chance to do a before and after pic. When I try to redo in wood, I'll take more pics.
thats what I'm saying the boot is zip tied to the square plastic piece, un do the zip ties and zip tie it inside out to the shift arm, then flip it right side out