PDA

View Full Version : no 5th GEAR?

lucytripping
03-04-2014, 09:52 PM
im new to the forum just purchased a 89 accord dx coupe....
and once i hopped on freeway i came to find out i cannot shift into 5th gear, it like it doesn't even exist! ive searched and cant find anything so im sorry if i just missed the thread for this problem....
it also sounds like it grinds when i shift into reverse please help asap!!!

Charlie5280
03-04-2014, 09:57 PM
im new to the forum just purchased a 89 accord dx coupe....
and once i hopped on freeway i came to find out i cannot shift into 5th gear, it like it doesn't even exist! ive searched and cant find anything so im sorry if i just missed the thread for this problem....
it also sounds like it grinds when i shift into reverse please help asap!!!

You might not have 5th gear, as the synchos could potentially be so worn that it won't grab that gearset.

I'd see if you can try and do it with the car OFF and PARKED.

Let us know what you find.

lucytripping
03-05-2014, 11:50 AM
with it off and in park it went into fifth gear?

also on the way home with it my heater hose burst. i fixed that before continuing, it made it 95 miles until right down the street from my home when the temperature gauge spiked.... attempting to trouble shoot i realized that the coolant when drained is sort of brown. does this automatically mean its the head gasket?

2oodoor
03-06-2014, 06:11 AM
Thers assload of threads covering the 5 th gear repair, the tranny doesnt even have to come out to fix.
never run these cars hot, or anything with an aluminum head & iron block, which is the majority of import cars of tbe 80's -90's!
If the temp guage wanders even a bit off what it normally does, check it out asap...i realize you just got the car so you dont know the normal temp probably.
The HG MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE DAMAGE, there is no factual answer anybody can give you with the info provided.:)

lucytripping
03-06-2014, 08:34 AM
If you dont mind can you post a link? I have looked and come up empty handed.... id be greatful.

Also what should i use to clean the undercarrage? Its really dirty from leaks ect.... but i know i have another cooling system leak but its all extremely dirty down there making it hard to find the exact leak?

2oodoor
03-06-2014, 02:36 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/technical/7775-5ht-gear-gone-i-heard-easy-replace.htmlQUOTE=lucytripping;1146433]If you dont mind can you post a link? I have looked and come up empty handed.... id be greatful.

Also what should i use to clean the undercarrage? Its really dirty from leaks ect.... but i know i have another cooling system leak but its all extremely dirty down there making it hard to find the exact leak?[/QUOTE]
Im lazy now but heres one short and sweet, you can googled it too

HLW
03-09-2014, 10:52 AM
If the coolant is a reddish brown, it may be rust. If it is rust it is not a head gasket issue, your cooling system needs to be flushed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

lucytripping
03-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Thats exactly what it needed. Ha thank yo

lucytripping
03-10-2014, 02:28 PM
I havent gotten to my transmission yet alot of stuff keeps coming up ha.
If i am unable to find a 5th gear set at a salvage yard is there anyone who would sell me one?
Or is there any chance of finding one from a different kind of vehicle?

My funds are extremely limited!

2oodoor
03-10-2014, 05:21 PM
What is tbe largest city around you? You can buy the whole trans at a pullapart for the price of brand new gearsets ot plucking parts fom a salvage tranny.

Cherokee1999
04-03-2014, 04:21 PM
I just recently came upon this problem too. Fifth gave out on me on the freeway, the whining noise should've given it away. After researching i figured it would be easier to just replace the transmission with another one. I've yet to complete this project yet though.

lostforawhile
04-06-2014, 09:58 PM
I just recently came upon this problem too. Fifth gave out on me on the freeway, the whining noise should've given it away. After researching i figured it would be easier to just replace the transmission with another one. I've yet to complete this project yet though.

you can replace fifth without even pulling the transmission

JohnBoy
04-15-2014, 06:46 PM
lol I did the same thing but I was going 110 mph at 2:00 am. driving across state. your right the whining should have gave it away. but I drove it with out fifth gear for about 1 1/2 year before the gear pieces ground a hole in my diff.

Cherokee1999
04-15-2014, 07:27 PM
you can replace fifth without even pulling the transmission
You could but there was pieces of 5th gear in the tranny. It would've had to been replaced anyways.

Dr_Snooz
04-16-2014, 06:56 PM
It depends on what goes wrong. Most people here have been able to solve the 5th gear problem by taking the end cap off the trans. However, I have opened salvage transmissions that had the 5th gear splines ground off the mainshaft. That's a full rebuild there and a lot of praying that you'll find a salvage mainshaft in decent shape. Which is no easy feat. I returned that trans and got another.

JohnBoy
04-16-2014, 07:04 PM
the gear and the syncros are not that expensive. if your having problems with them shot peen it or cryo treat.

lucytripping
04-16-2014, 08:12 PM
What does it mean to shot peen it or cryo treat?

JohnBoy
04-16-2014, 09:31 PM
shot peening is when you shot bb into metal which will harden it. cryo will freeze the gear to 300 below for hours to harden it. most machine shops can shot peen. CRYOGENICALLY TREATED RACING ENGINES AND PARTS PERFORM BETTER UNDER HIGH STRESS CONDITIONS - Test (http://www.300below.com/motorsports/)

lucytripping
04-17-2014, 10:36 AM
So the main shaft is where gears 1-5 set?
If so if did this with my main shaft could it fix my problem? Would it even be worth it

JohnBoy
04-17-2014, 01:21 PM
So the main shaft is where gears 1-5 set?
If so if did this with my main shaft could it fix my problem? Would it even be worth it

what???