PDA

View Full Version : 89 Accord DX problem!

yaaagin
03-13-2014, 02:58 AM
Hey guys, i just got this car 3 days ago from an auction.
Drove the car around 18 miles ever since i bought it and when i was almost home the car started smoking.
The smoke came from around the spark plug and header area, any ideas? Ill post a video as soon as my phone stops acting up.
I also have an idling problem, it starts regular then in 30 seconds it revs and stays at 2k RPM, only when its on drive it drops to 1k

thanks this is my first time on this forum and i hope to get this car in top shape :)

PNWsail
03-13-2014, 06:05 AM
Welcome to the forum, and your new addiction. My first guess based on your description would be valve cover gasket for the smoking issue. As for the idle, look for vacuum leaks. Best thing would be to download the service manual and also use the search function of this forum. This topic has been covered many times. Have fun!

yaaagin
03-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks man! i did you the search button AND google lol. everything came up different tho. okay i will, and cant wait to get it running perfectly!

Dr_Snooz
03-13-2014, 06:42 PM
x2 on valve cover gasket.

yaaagin
03-14-2014, 12:13 AM
Hey guys heres the vid! Can you check it out to see if i was right on the description. The smoke is coming from the 3rd spark plug from the left, youll see it.
By the way! Listen to that idle in the middle of the vid!

1989 Honda Accord Smoke and Idle Problem - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31kTuY8aSxs&feature=youtu.be)

Hope to get this runnin on the road without any problems soon so i can work on better things!

PNWsail
03-14-2014, 04:41 AM
Your video convinced me that your valve cover gasket is definitely leaking. Replace that and the mounting grommets, clean the old oil off, and I bet your smoking will be solved. As for your idle issue, look for vacuum leaks.

g.frost
03-14-2014, 08:30 AM
Try to get the OEM Honda valve cover gasket. When you have the cover off, do a perfect precise valve lash adjustment and check condition of the timing belt. (.....has it ever been changed?) At 90K miles, take care of it and you should have many miles to go.

High idle; start with inspecting the choke, that it opens fully (straight up) when warm. Download the service manual and study. Carb, choke, & fast idle unloader circuit troubleshooting.

yaaagin
03-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Thanks guys ill get my parts today before work and ill take pics to show what ive been doing :thumbup:

yaaagin
03-15-2014, 08:17 PM
The parts center at downtown honolulu had to special order the VC gasket and grommets. smh. gotta wait till wednesday...
Bought oil and filter though, so i can do my oil change.

Quick Question!
Can i do my oil change first then touch the valve cover?

PNWsail
03-16-2014, 10:43 AM
No harm in doing the oil change first, but more beneficial to do it after, simply to catch any debris that may fall into the engine while you are working.

yaaagin
03-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Changed my oil, and changed the valve cover gasket and grommets.

THE SMOKE IS STILL THERE :uh:
1989 Honda Accord Smoking and Rough Idle - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqklGsrli3s&feature=youtu.be)

Made another vid and you still can see it, you can also see the hondabond.
And the idle is getting low, and wanting to die out.

I chanced it and drove it around(to see if that will do anything)
idle went to 1k, but i drove it for awhile and smoke is still there but less
Please help me out! thanks!

2ndGenGuy
03-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Could be oil leaking from the distributor O-ring? Very common problem. $2 fix.

yaaagin
03-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Could be oil leaking from the distributor O-ring? Very common problem. $2 fix.

But isnt the smoke gonna come out from the left side? the smoke is coming from the spark plug area.
I'll try the distributor O-ring but i hope it works

g.frost
03-19-2014, 08:14 PM
Maybe you just have to let all that oil that is already on the manifold burn off, then it will quit smoking.

yaaagin
03-20-2014, 12:19 AM
Maybe you just have to let all that oil that is already on the manifold burn off, then it will quit smoking.

hopefully! thanks for the hint