PDA

View Full Version : size matters

oldsub86
11-25-2002, 08:18 PM
These cars are hard to work on. It reminds me of working on my old Honda Goldwing. You can see what you want to get to but you can't possibly reach it. (unless your hands are smaller than mine)

Over the weekend I changed all of my belts. I was going to change the timing belt so started taking things off to get to it. I thought it was the original timing belt and the car has 123K Kil so it would be past time to change it. When I pulled the top part of the cover off, I discovered the belt says "Goodyear" so not original. I talked to the previous owner (my brother in law) and he confirmed the belt was changed around 60K Kil so I should be safe for another 40K kil. I therefore did not swap it. It looked fine.

However, I did change the other belts as they were all cracked and in need of changing. It is tight in there. The power steering pump came loose without much hassle but the air conditioning compresser and the alternator were not so friendly. The AC came loose after I got the two top bolts loose so no problem but the alternator was seized good. I had to pull the bottom bolt and pry the alternator out and then punch out the sleeve in the bracket. It was corroded so I cleaned it on the wire brush wheel in the grinder and put anti-seize compound on it before reinstalling. Hopefully, next time will be easier. Found a thick washer on floor after and guess it may have come from the alternator tension adjust mechanism but the belts seem lined up so didn't take it apart again. Guessing it maybe should be between the alternator and the bracket. Frustrating to have to crawl under to tighten the alternator adjuster when you can see it from above - just can't reach it. Took me hours just to change 3 belts. Hope it gets easier with time. Usually does - first time you work on a car it is the hardest. Cold here too and my garage is not heated. Supposed to be warmer towards the weekend and I hope so as I need to change the upper balljoints on the back.

Have had the car for a couple of weeks. So far, changed oil and filter, spark plugs, air filter and at oil. Runs good - hope nothing too serious needs doing before spring.

Randy

anchovies
11-25-2002, 11:33 PM
Well at least you can see the belts in this car. Take off the air filter box, cruise control vacumm, you can work from above except for the ac.
Look at other cars, mmmm...let me see...88-90 civics. You don't even have the space to work from above.
Well, good to know you're taking care of the care. Keep it up.

smufguy
11-26-2002, 02:23 PM
the cluttering is not majorly parts, its all the vaccum lines and wiring and stuff like that. Guys with webber cab (no emission box) and no cruize and stuff like that have an ample room. But our hood length is a lot smaller compared to anything. I wonder how they worked on accord and preludes with the hood hindged at the front.

Immeraufdemhund
11-26-2002, 07:46 PM
You work from the side. My friend has a civic who has a hood that does that. Everything is within reach. You kinda have to be tall though. But i can reach from one side to the other on my toes without jumping on the car, so it's not too bad. and if it gets too bad i Just do what i do to both front and rear opening hoods. take off the hood.