PDA

View Full Version : have no clue what is causing some problems!

lucytripping
03-17-2014, 02:57 AM
Hey guys im having trouble finding others with same symptoms, im trying to get my recently purchased 89 accord dx coupe to be a daily driver but i have no clue what the source is for my problems.

I recently rebuild the carb but i cant comprehend how to tune it,

So i have a real high idol and i think ots just cause carb needs to be tuned.
But when i shift gears car accelerates really slow, as well as an rpm spike before dropping.
Rpms also increase when clutch is pushed in.
When driving i can remove foot from gas pedal and my car continues to do that speed.... and i don't have cruise control?

I feel like all these problems are related.
Any assistance in helping me solve why car is acting this way would be awesome.

I do apologize if there is a thread out there discussing these i muat have messed it.
Please no need to be hostile though<3

Dr_Snooz
03-17-2014, 06:46 PM
These carbs are tricky. Even pros have trouble rebuilding them right. I had to throw my first Keihin rebuild in the trash. Start by giving some background on the rebuild. Who did it? How extensive was it? What kit did you use?

You should also do some reading on carb tuning. I learned the basics from this manual (http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/pdf/carb_owners_manual.pdf). It's for V8 racing carbs, but the principles are the same. Your carb looks different and is infinitely more complicated, but it shares the same basics with the V8 carbs.

Also, thumb through the carb section in the Honda manual (http://geminiwebhosting.ca/1989AccordServiceManual.pdf) and familiarize yourself with the adjustments and controls on yours. The carb is discussed in chapter 11. Yes, it's very loooooooong.

The first place to start is with float level adjustment. When the car is running, you should be able to see fuel in the site glasses on the side of the carb. Fuel should be level with the dot. If not, that's the place to start. If you didn't replace the floats when you rebuilt, you should have.

Hazwan
03-18-2014, 06:05 AM
Sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere causing you to idle high and later led to the other problems you listed. Throttle controller is going to raise your idle up to 2-3k when theres a vacuum leak somewhere unless you messed with any adjustment screws when it was rebuilt. Does it idle high before you rebuild it?

lucytripping
03-18-2014, 10:19 PM
Yeah but wasnt as high, and i did accelerate on its own too. But ive looked for vacuum leaks haha
Do you know the size of all the vacuum hoses? I could just replace all of them,

I also noticed this morning there was coolan on the floor that leaked from somewhere in the back of engine bay ?

lucytripping
03-18-2014, 11:27 PM
And i did try to fix with by adjusting idle screws but no matter what way i turned any screw it either stayed the same or would rise

LewZur
03-19-2014, 05:08 AM
Yeah but wasnt as high, and i did accelerate on its own too. But ive looked for vacuum leaks haha
Do you know the size of all the vacuum hoses? I could just replace all of them,

I also noticed this morning there was coolan on the floor that leaked from somewhere in the back of engine bay ?

There's a million feet of vacuum lines on the carb. lol I've rebuilt holleys and edlbrocks but when I rebuilt the 3gee carb it was a pain and I never got the car to run right. Plus there are a few obsolete emissions parts I couldn't find anywhere that were broken on my causing me to have vacuum problems. My solution was FI conversion and the car ran like a champ. Though now I'm really sad thinking about it being gone. I would agree with Snooz that you should familiarize yourself with the carb and also Hazwan on the vacuum. The only thing that I can remember on a V8 carb that ever gave me trouble setting the idle was having something behind the screw so it wouldn't let me adjust it. I ended up taking the screw out and blowing air through it to get the trash out and then it worked great, but that was a less complicated carb. Good luck!

lostforawhile
03-19-2014, 07:32 PM
did you adjust the play in the throttle cable right? even a little too tight will crack the throttle plat open and take it off the idle circuit

lucytripping
03-19-2014, 11:20 PM
I didn't tighten it i loosened it a little cause i read it should have about a half inch of play and it was way to tight