PDA

View Full Version : headlight woes. left high right low.

Richard D Miller
03-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Not sure if anyone has seen this before.

The drivers side headlight only illuminates low beam.
The passenger side headlight only illuminates high beam.
If you alternate between low and high beam the lights alternate between right and left lights.

Any theories would be great.

Thanks

zenapup
03-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Check fuses in the underdash fuse box first if you have not already. Best to start with the simple stuff first.

g.frost
03-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Maybe one side has the high element burned out and the other side has the low element burned out?

Richard D Miller
03-18-2014, 08:26 PM
Im sorry, I forgot to say that I did swap headlights around. one new out of the box and the two existing. problems stayed with the buckets. As for the fuses, would honda run a specific fuse for right high, right low, left high and left low?

perhaps it could be a relay. but it could be broken wires in the buckets. who knows? Multimeter fun tomorrow.

lostforawhile
03-19-2014, 11:02 AM
check the fuses first, there are four, if they are good use a meter to verify current on the high and low beam circuit at the plug for the bulb, if it's not the fuses it's probably the wire where it flexes when the lights open and close. Very common issue as these cars age, and easy to fix

Richard D Miller
03-19-2014, 01:34 PM
Holy Cow! There are four fuses. Never saw that coming! Looks like I am in business. Thank you for all your replies.

lostforawhile
03-19-2014, 02:24 PM
Holy Cow! There are four fuses. Never saw that coming! Looks like I am in business. Thank you for all your replies.

its a safety feature so you dont lose both high beam or both low beam at the same time, it's the opposite of the old GM put everything on one breaker, so you lose all of your headlights,dash lights,and tail lights at once going down the interstate

Richard D Miller
03-19-2014, 07:24 PM
My other car is a 78 Eldorado so I understand the old GM comment, When I was back into RX-7s, Mazda never did this. I am impressed.

lostforawhile
03-19-2014, 07:29 PM
if they keep blowing you will need to probably replace the section of wire where it bends, just keep the original plastic clips etc, and rewrap the new wires with them in the same place. they attach in such a way that they can bend out of the way