PDA

View Full Version : strange problem - fans not turning on

mesa
03-20-2014, 04:24 AM
hey guys, I have a strange problem, my fan is not turning on and that causes the engine to overheat when stationary.

I have shorted the wires at the fan switch and that caused the fans to turn on so nothing else is the problem but I swapped the fan switch for a brand new one today and the fans are still not turning on :/ Anyone has a clue what the problem might be now?

LewZur
03-20-2014, 07:36 AM
Did you check the Thermostat to make sure it's opening?

mesa
03-21-2014, 05:14 PM
Its all working fine when driving, it only overheats when not moving for a long period of time without having the inner heater on so i dont think the thermostat is broken. but I'm going to replace it anyways this weekend and clean the radiator and see if my crx' fan switch works as i know that the fans work on that car

mesa
03-23-2014, 03:59 PM
well replaced the thermostat and flushed the radiator out just to be sure but nothing changed, the fan still doesnt turn on. im going to order a second fan switch tomorrow, hopefully that solves the problem

1987LXiHatch
03-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Did you check all relays and fuses?

mesa
03-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Yes everything works, I kinda fixed the problem by connecting the wires going to the fan switch so now it turns on when the key is in position two, but its not how i'd like to have solved this problem

quick summary:
radiator flushed, everything seems fine
new coolant
new fan switch
new thermostat
new water pump
new plug for fan switch
fuses, relays, wiring all ok.

i've tested the old switch in boiling water and that one also works fine so I really dont understand why the fan switch does not turn on.

Dr_Snooz
03-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Check for faulty grounds, bad wires, etc. It's also possible that some piece of crud in the radiator is preventing the fan switch from getting a proper reading. Not likely though.