PDA

View Full Version : Rocking grandma's accord... hesitation at part throttle, power surges in and out

chaditotx
03-21-2014, 07:22 AM
1987 Accord DX 103k miles. Just bought from my 93 year old grandmother. It has seen "Limited" usage over the last three years. (600 miles). I changed tming belt, water pump, oil pump seals, spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires and numerous gaskets and the o2 sensor. I have run through about 3 tanks of gas on it so far, and techron-ed the hell out of the fuel tank. Fuel filter has been replaced. Timing is spot on, and distributor advance can's don't leak. can't hear any vacuum leaks, and the EGR valve opens only when the vehicle is warm.

Sometimes at idle, there is a lean miss. Not a pop, but a barely audible miss. At part throttle, barely off the idle circuit, the miss is more pronounced when I am cruising at speed. Full throttle, the miss is barely noticeable, but power seems to surge in and out. I checked the spark going to the plugs, and it is firing right on the money on each cylinder. The miss seems to be fuel related, almost like a cut off valve or something. The car doesn't have a "mis-fire" i.e. popping through carb etc, just a lean miss. The smoothest the car runs is when the choke is on at a cold start. As the choke pulls off when I am driving, the lean condition comes in. Any ideas? I bought a chiltons manual, but at less than impressed with it.

chaditotx
03-23-2014, 09:02 AM
fixed I thought... but It came back. I had cleaned the carb out and it seems to have helped. I need to locate the low speed decel solenoid. thats my best guess on what needs to be fixed.

captain_steve
03-23-2014, 11:53 AM
What fixed it? I race one of these cars at a circle track and just last night it started cutting out like 3/4 down the straight away. I run the engine in high rpms of course and the car seems to cut out of fuel, then take off. It idles fine too. It also did it coming out of the turns. I have a lot to look into, but was wondering what fixed your problem?