PDA

View Full Version : timing belt?

89BadBoy
11-26-2002, 01:34 PM
Driving down the street yesterday my car started to idle really low then it died. i thought it may have been the fuel filter because it seemed to not be getting fuel, i took the line off after the filter and gas came out so that wasnt it, i took out a spark plug and wire, i have a spark. So i took off the timing belt cover and My timing belt does not turn at all, and i called my honda dealer and he said it might be the bottom of the timing belt is bad... but that dont make sence. the top looks fine and it has the right tension. The belt goes arond there is no top or bottom. Did I not understand what he said or something? any suggestions on what it is?

smufguy
11-26-2002, 02:02 PM
bottom of the belt i guess he was talking about the one with the teeth on em.

oldsub86
11-26-2002, 02:23 PM
Yes the belt goes around and there is no "top" or "bottom" BUT the belt has teeth on the inside that grip the teeth in the pulleys.There is a pulley on top attached to the camshaft and another pulley at the bottom attached to the crankshaft plus an idler in the middle on the right side that tensions the belt. You have most likely stripped the teeth off of the belt where it is currently going around the crankshaft pulley at the bottom of the motor. Hopefully that is all that is wrong and that you did not damage the engine when the belt broke. If the valves and the pistons meet it is not usually a good thing.

Take it apart far enough to get a look at the whole of the belt and let us knwo what you find.

Randy

89BadBoy
11-26-2002, 02:53 PM
could someone please tell me the easiest way to get the timing belt cover(bottom) off?

dXsquared
11-26-2002, 03:11 PM
pull hard... it should come off it you take out all the screws.

Travis

Mantis88LX
11-26-2002, 03:15 PM
yea thats what happen on mine a few months ago, the belt teeth stipped,