PDA

View Full Version : my b16a2 intake manifold!

bobafett
11-27-2002, 12:08 AM
ok my friend got a skunk2 intake manny for his 00 si. so he just gave me his old manifold. what will i need to buy to make this work in my car. also will i need a different TB? and would/could/ or should i bother with a port and polish of the intake manifold, and a boring out of the TB, with a bigger butterfly? i am thinking i may just put the TB on hold till i find a junkyard accord, and then have an extra one to fiddle around with! :)

http://home.attbi.com/~humphrey.c/intake1.gif
http://home.attbi.com/~humphrey.c/intake2.gif
http://home.attbi.com/~humphrey.c/intake3.gif
http://home.attbi.com/~humphrey.c/intake4.gif

SQ is the SQUAD
11-27-2002, 01:12 PM
i hope u werent planning on putting that on ur accord motor

Site
11-27-2002, 02:06 PM
Wow, those are good quality pics. Very clear. What camera do you use?

Openloop adapted a B16 manifold to fit a B20A engine. I believe an intake manifold from an A20A engine fits a B20A (AerodeckUK is using his A20A carb to run his B20A engine temporarily). If this is true, it means that if you modify it the same way Openloop did, then it will work.

Check here:
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5437

Best of luck to ya!

bobafett
11-27-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by h0ndavtec
i hope u werent planning on putting that on ur accord motor
why do you say that? from what i hear, its quite possible!!! :) :(
i hope your not correct!!!! lol

ooh ooh, thanks site.... hopefully i can get this going without too much pain and suffering!

the camera i used was a kodak dx3700 pics were taken at max resolution (3.1MP) and then cropped/resized and "saved for web" in photoshop.....

A20A1
11-29-2002, 08:12 PM
stick bolts throught the holes that line-up and stick on an a20 intake manifold gasket. then use a sharpie to mark the material you need to remove.

bobafett
11-29-2002, 08:35 PM
hm, so when i actually hook up the manifold i will need the a20 gasket not the b16 gasket?

also, on the a20 there are 4 bolts to hold on the fuel rail, and only 3 on the b16 manny... will i need a different rail, or will 2 bolts be sufficient? this project is turning more complex than i had thought, but i guess its good, i will have a few supporting mods which will help!

anchovies
11-29-2002, 09:12 PM
no A20A1 meant to use the gasket to mark where you'll need to drill the holes on the b16 manifold.

This thread says 87 Lxi has done it.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8069&perpage=15

bobafett
11-29-2002, 09:29 PM
yeah but if the HOLES dont line up in the first place, how could i use the b16 gasket? or will i have to drill holes in the gasket as well?

hmm, another question, there is not too much room in between the stock gasket and the actual hole, is there any reason to port it out so they match perfectly? or is that pointless... i am wondering if i have to buy a special gasket in order it port it out....

anchovies
11-29-2002, 09:36 PM
hmmm...from what I understand, you'll need to use the A20 gasket and mark where you'll need to drill on the B16 manifold.
Or a better way, is to use the A20 gasket on the B16 gasket to know where to drill on the B16 gasket and also the manifold. Then just port the head to match.
These are just my ideas.

2old_honda
11-29-2002, 09:56 PM
just take the A20 gasket and place it on the b16 manifold, line up the intake holes and tape the gasket down. then mark where you need to drill directly on the b16 manifold. simple.

bobafett
11-30-2002, 10:25 AM
yep i think i got that part! too bad thats the simple part! lol...

i still need to worry about which TB to use and which fuel rail... obviously i could buy some, but i am pretty much broke right now... i should find a better job! :)

Low Tek
11-30-2002, 12:54 PM
so... like I have a really dumb question - what does it actually do to have the b16 intake manifold on the a20??

I know if you put the 87 lude head on the a20 it gives better compression... is it in the same realm??

just have to ask... I might wanna try it to, if it works like that :confused:

bobafett
11-30-2002, 01:00 PM
well its my understanding that it has better flow, especially in the top end.... plus it will allow me to use all the b16 mods... like FPR/fuel rail, aftermarket Tb... ETC... it all adds up i guess...

i didnt know you could use lude heads.... hmm, i am thinking i may just want to build up this car without a turbo... but NAH... i just cant decide... :)

Low Tek
11-30-2002, 01:06 PM
hehehe - yea, butit has to be the 87 SOHC - and it should fit, from what I have found and heard...

nice on the intake manifold - I am really thinkin this is goin to better then I thought..
I could run bigger everything since it will be the newer intake manifold.. HMMMMM

bobafett
11-30-2002, 01:09 PM
thats the idea! port it out a bit and port match the heads...

do you know how much the prelude heads raise the compression? if i get forged pistons for the turbo i will want to lower the comp ratio... but if i go all motor (cheaper) i will wnat to raise it...

which is safer?? i am wondering if it might be smarter to build this car up all motor... seems a lot cheaper and more reliable... :)

Low Tek
11-30-2002, 01:11 PM
not to sure on the stats of it, but I do know that it does alot... and if you port/polish/shave the head you can have like 40+ hp

I am goin everything bigger - street/strip cam, and so much more... wanting it to be a fast mutha... OH YEA!!!!

bobafett
11-30-2002, 01:13 PM
jesus, well i am not sure about shaving the head, but i will to port match and polish the intake to the a20 head.. i am not too sure about the lude head yet. especially since i am not too sure if i want to raise up the compression ratio and get a cam, or keep it low and build the engine for a turbo... right now i am trying to decide, and for reliabilities sake i am thinking all motor would be smart... and save the turbo for a CRX project in the future... :)

Low Tek
11-30-2002, 03:45 PM
hahaha
yea this is true

bobafett
11-30-2002, 03:46 PM
hey do u know darkness from the meet, i PMed him, but he hasnt checked it.. he has a mechanic with a part i want for my car, but i dont have his cell # or anything, can you hook me up?

Low Tek
11-30-2002, 05:17 PM
what part - I can almost get anything... what do you need - I don't know darkness though

oh yea, with the information you told me about the intake I am VERY happy... hey is that off the civic or what - and do you know the part number of what you need??? dont matter if you don't, but helpful

bobafett
11-30-2002, 05:19 PM
well the part i am looking for for my car is the bumper filler, the peice on a hatch below the tail lights, and above the bumper, in the blue color... mine is all rusted and falling apart.. honda wants 83 for the peice, unpainted... i cannot afford that...

and yes, that manifold came off of a 2000 civic SI...

Low Tek
11-30-2002, 06:12 PM
I know where to get that piece for your car... let me check tomorrow, and it will not cost you that much..

is that the only year for the civic.. or is it any b16??

bobafett
11-30-2002, 06:14 PM
umm, i would GUESS its from all usdm b16 cars, i know the JDM manifold is different.

and you remember the color of my car right? ooh let me know if you can track one of those down, i could really use it! (you saw how nasty mine looked)

Low Tek
11-30-2002, 06:19 PM
lol yea - does it matter if it new?? or can it be used? I have a good source

bobafett
11-30-2002, 06:20 PM
i dont care where it came from as long as its blue (the color of my car) and not rusted or starting to rust...

i dont want a dented one either obviously, but as long as the paints good, i am game...

btw how much $$ are we talking? i am not made of money.. lol

Low Tek
11-30-2002, 06:49 PM
not sure price wise.. but it will be under $50

bobafett
11-30-2002, 06:50 PM
nice!!!

and you can get me a good one of the right color!?!! cool!

Low Tek
11-30-2002, 06:52 PM
will try for the right color.. think he has a blue one there... but does it matter if the color is not?? can always paint if the price is right

bobafett
11-30-2002, 06:55 PM
yeah... but if its not the right color darkside said he knows someone with that peice the right color... .so i will see about that as well... i think some of the people on here know him though... so i bet i can get ahold of him if i try hard enough

Low Tek
11-30-2002, 06:59 PM
ok

but I will check and see

he did say he had a blue car there

bobafett
11-30-2002, 07:04 PM
cool thanks a lot...

Low Tek
11-30-2002, 07:09 PM
no prob bro

skaterjunky8
01-15-2003, 09:20 PM
So to get the b16 manifold on you just need to drill the holes in it?

bobafett
01-19-2003, 12:17 AM
yeah you just need to drill some holes on the manifold so that it will bolt up. from what i understand the bottom needs to be drilled some, but the top should work ok the way it is. but i cant say for sure, since i havent bought the a20a3 intake manifold gasket! :)

markmdz89hatch
01-19-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by bobafett
yeah you just need to drill some holes on the manifold so that it will bolt up. from what i understand the bottom needs to be drilled some, but the top should work ok the way it is. but i cant say for sure, since i havent bought the a20a3 intake manifold gasket! :)

well....

....c'mon what are you waiting for! j/k. But seriously, let us know your findings as soon as you really do the swap. I'm not doing the same thing, but your outcome will help my decisions on what to do for my dillemma.

bobafett
01-19-2003, 12:40 AM
well i can go buy a gasket tomorow if its relatively cheap, 1 for the a20 and a new one for the b16. i can let you all know... but i donno if i will get around to buying the stuff tomorrow. i am gonna do it soon though, and then if its easy looking hopfully i will slap that sucker on there. the only problem is that i will also need to pick up a fuel rail and FPR. i can get the SI stock stuff for about $60 i think. the only problem at that point is getting a TB that will work! :)

markmdz89hatch
01-19-2003, 12:43 AM
no rush man, I was just foolin' a little. I'm actually confused on what gasket I should use for the final fit. Do I use the B16 (B18) in my case, or the A20? But mines not for a f.i. intake manifold though so no competition. ;)

bobafett
01-19-2003, 12:45 AM
i think i am gonna try to use an a20 gasket, so i KNOW all the bolts will line up... however, i am not sure at this point if the ports in the manifold will be too wide, if this is the case, it will be easier to modify the b16 gasket too... so that the size of the ports vs the size of the gasket line up/ get what i am saying at all???

markmdz89hatch
01-19-2003, 12:52 AM
yep, I understand completely. Only thing is, I don't expect that you'll have that much trouble with either gasket b/c if I'm not mistaken, doesn't the gasket give like a 1/8" gap surrounding the actual port? That (it better) should give you enough of a tolerance to accomodate any porting that's done. ...I could be way off base on that one though..:confused:

bobafett
01-19-2003, 12:55 AM
yeah i am willing to bet youre right about that...

i dont know enought about the whole port/polish process. but i might as well do that before i throw it on my car. then i will find a gutted a20a3 in a junkyard sometime and snag some more internals like a head and cam :) that way i can get a regrind and get some cleaned up heads in there! :)

anyway back on the subject, i dont know if it is gonna be "ported" over that threshold or not if i use the a20 gasket..

markmdz89hatch
01-19-2003, 12:58 AM
..i guess we'll just have to pull up a chair, grab some popcorn, and sit back and see what happens. I'm prolly only about a month away from getting my new A3 head and b18 manifold port matched, so if I get it done first, I'll def. let you know anything that I find out.

bobafett
01-19-2003, 12:59 AM
ooh ooh... b18 manifold~ cool..

yeah i am only using the USDM b16a(2)? manifold. the JDM type r manifold is prolly a bit better, but i am not willing to shell out the $$$, especially since this will still give me some gain i hope! :)

markmdz89hatch
01-19-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by bobafett
ooh ooh... b18 manifold~ cool..

...yeah, but mine's a bit of a diff. case. This is a manifold for a B18 dual DCOE conversion that I'm going to mod. to fit the A20 head. Same idea, just the other side of the spectrum (carb instead of EFI)

bobafett
01-19-2003, 01:01 AM
oh i see.. gotcha.. that is gonna be sweet i am thinking... dcoe with that manifold you just scream! :)

markmdz89hatch
01-19-2003, 01:08 AM
DCOE 45's none the less.... ...I just might have to think about fuel issues as well...

bobafett
01-19-2003, 01:09 AM
jeez...quite the project you have going there! :P

markmdz89hatch
01-19-2003, 01:13 AM
yep, that and JE/Wiseco pistons, (don't remember) better valves, ported/polished head, and all the other goodies, and I should be at least content for a while.