PDA

View Full Version : help me fit my new b16 intake manifold up!

bobafett
11-27-2002, 12:09 AM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9833

ok i just picked this up tonight from a friend of mine, what do i need to modify or purchase in order to use this manifold?

joker2
11-27-2002, 05:25 AM
OK, let me start by saying that you made out like a bandit because it looks to be in very good shape....... Now, I know since you have it now you're eager to put it on and go but I would consider purchasing the performance parts that will fit on that manifold like a overbored TB, fuel rail and performance injectors..... Now I'm not saying that you need them right now but in the end you're going to want them so why not build it right and then put it on...... I think you asked about a P&P job on the head plus port matching, well it won't hurt to do that, it will only improve your performance...... But for right now, you need to pull the head, place the manifold on the head and align the holes and there should be some holes that are left over on the manilfold...... Those will be the holes you will have to drill into the manifold..... :D

88LXi68
11-27-2002, 06:55 AM
The only problem I see with this one is that it is OBD-2 or 3 or whatever. we have OBD-0, so some of the sensors will be different and be in different spots. I would definitely contact openloop.

bobafett
11-27-2002, 07:03 AM
ok so i will have to drill the HEAD, and not the manifold eh? thats part of the puzzle solved... and since i have never done this before, how big of a project is pulling the heads?

yeah i cant believe he just gave it to me, its in really great shape, it hasnt been cleaned yet either, so i imagine it will be really spiffy by the time i get around to throwing it on the car.

and joker youre right about building it up some more, i do PLAN to get fuel rail, injectors, and a bigger TB. those are definetly gonna happen as soon as i can afford them. will my stock TB fit on for now or not? its not permanent, but you know how it goes with the NOW NOW NOW... :) since i know i cant afford all the other smart supporting mods i figured i would give it a go like this. i figure i will at least P&P the intake manifold, and if i have to have the head of to drill the holes i might as well port match etc... :) hmm, i cant wait to get this project started.

as for the hoses and sensors that this uses, i am totally clueless, though ryan, the guy who gave it to me says he will email me a digram of the intake that he got when he bought a gasket. :)

bobafett
sorry this was a repost, my internet is crazy to i keep clicking the reply button... lol.

bobafett
sorry this one too...

yeah if an admin sees these pls delete my last two posts! lol :)

joker2
11-27-2002, 07:23 AM
Yeah, you'll just be drilling into the head because the manifold already has the holes you need....... I don't believe that your TB will fit on that manifold but you could always give it a try...... But to tell you the truth it wouldn't be worth it anyway because the diameter of the b16 manifold is larger than the A20 so you would be restricting the flow thats coming into the manifold...... You should P&P the head, you can get the manifold polished as well but it's not necessary since Honda already does a decent job of that when they build their performance engines...... Just like if you had a Type-R manifold, you would be a fool to take it to a shop to have work done on it!!!:D

Sean
11-27-2002, 07:59 AM
ooh no the top of the manifold flange need to be drilled not the head. there no where in the head to drill these hole without hitting water. andy posted a pics a long time ago showing where the b16 intake needed to be modified. and yes the head needs to be portmatched to the b16 intake manifold. please od not drill the head. drill the intake i only need to have 3 holes on the top of the flage. the bottom lins up just fine.

Sean
11-27-2002, 07:59 AM
ooh no the top of the manifold flange need to be drilled not the head. there no where in the head to drill these hole without hitting water. andy posted a pics a long time ago showing where the b16 intake needed to be modified. and yes the head needs to be portmatched to the b16 intake manifold. please od not drill the head. drill the intake i only need to have 3 holes on the top of the flage. the bottom lins up just fine.

joker2
11-27-2002, 08:04 AM
OK, may bad, I had that backwards!!!:D "Fun", I mean Sean, HA HA, is right about not drilling the head because I just remembered the studs stick out from the head so just drill the manifold...... That's what happens when you're not paying attention to what your typing.....:D

Sean
11-27-2002, 08:36 AM
hmm glad i cought it.

joker2
11-27-2002, 08:39 AM
So bobafett, you should be set now.......:wave:

bobafett
11-27-2002, 02:33 PM
nice... so i think i am understanding how i have to drill.. i will just be drilling holes into the top half of the intake manifold in order to get it properly attached to the head?

also about the TB, i know i would be restricting a lot of flow, but thats fine as long as i can bolt one on for now. cause i really dont have the $300 to buy an aftermarket b16 TB.. :) i just want something to get me by...

and once i get money i will also get the other intellegent supporting mods...

what i need to know is what is the bare mininum i have to do, to get this going, do i NEED to port match, or is that like a bonus... also, if i were to find a regular civic in the junkyard could i use that TB, or would i need an b16 TB specifically?

lemme know the cheapest/simplest/fastest way to gain a bit of power, i will eventually do it all right... and if its THAT big of a PITA, i may just keep it all stored away and save for the other mods as well!

joker2
11-28-2002, 08:17 PM
OK, port matching is one of those things that is kinda needed but not necessarly needed for your car to run...... You can get by without it but it'll probably feel like you just have on your old manifold on because of the restriction that's taken place..... As far as the TB, I would check the savage yards first because I really don't believe that the A20 TB will fit but like I said before, try it for yourself and see.......

88LXi68
11-28-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by bobafett

also about the TB, i know i would be restricting a lot of flow, but thats fine as long as i can bolt one on for now. cause i really dont have the $300 to buy an aftermarket b16 TB.. :) i just want something to get me by...

$300?? i picked one up for $30 shipped and it was bead blasted and cleaned up.

bobafett
11-29-2002, 01:50 PM
hmm, well then SCC has some outrageous prices in their ads... lol... well if they are that cheap i will get one no problem...

hmm, the fuel rail on our manifold has 4 bolts to hold it on, and the b16 only has 3, do i just use the outer two, or should i get a different fuel rail before i try this? also if i get a different fuel rail which injectors should i get?

2old_honda
11-29-2002, 10:00 PM
you should be fine using just two bolts

bobafett
11-30-2002, 10:25 AM
REALLY? that would be nice, if i can really bolt it up with 2 (assuming they line up :)) then i just need to worry about the TB! hehe... i am almost there....

2old_honda
11-30-2002, 11:59 AM
yeah, you should be fine. Its not like the fuel rail is really heavy or puting a lot of torque on anything.

bobafett
11-30-2002, 12:14 PM
hmm well lets hope they bolt up...

i also read on ebay about a TB that fit the b series engine, and the way they described it made most honda TBs seem pretty generic. so i am hoping mine could bolt right on, even though the size would be restrictive!

advanracing62
01-15-2003, 12:41 PM
I know tons about the B series blocks and what not.. It's what I started on and now I've got another car (89 Accord) that I need to get info on, which is why I'm here. So, let me try to help you out... The B series mani. that you have will use B series tb... I have yet to see an instance where another tb was a direct bolt on affair. I'm interested to learn about this plenum swap... My car is currently carbed, but I would love to go inj... looks like I may take a trip to the jy and see if I can find a head and some hard line.

joker2
01-30-2003, 06:16 AM
Yo bobafett, how'd it work out for you with the manifold........:wave:

bobafett
01-30-2003, 09:09 AM
lol still nothing yet... actually yesterday i was gonna pick up the gaskets... i have a 80% good gasket for the b16 that i can use for comparioson, and the place that actually had an a20 in stock was gonna be closed by the time i could get there! :P

anyway, hopefully soon i will get it taken care of. but i am worried about the OBD-I II, all that shit. its totally over my head. but i get the impression from recent reading that i may need a first gen b16 manifold! i sure hope not!!! :)

joker2
01-30-2003, 09:23 AM
Well, as far as the sensors go, I would just try and get an idea of which sensors are used on that manifold and then compare them to the sensors that you presently have....... I'm sure it can't be that difficult....... And if it gets over your head, contact openloop and I'm sure they can at least point you in the right direction.....:flash:

bobafett
01-30-2003, 09:27 AM
yeah. but i am so much of a newbie their advice would prolly go right over my head. i cant pretend to know what all that means!

all i know is, it will be nice to drill the holes, then i want to port and polish the sucker before i throw it on the car. also i am looking into getting some bigger injectors as well. :)

Darkside
01-30-2003, 09:36 AM
I don't know if that is spelled correctly. But you can "borrow" one from Auto Zone as long as you get a larger butterfly thing. You can just hone out your throttle body. You can make it super thin. And I think the tool is free to use. Darkside

joker2
01-30-2003, 09:37 AM
Well if you haven't done it yet within a month or so I guess I'll be the one telling you how to do it because I should have my manifold by the end of Feb...... My engine should be complete by then..... Right now my head is in the shop and they're waiting on my cam and manifold to complete the setup........:flash:

bobafett
01-30-2003, 09:40 AM
thanks. yeah i dont even have a TB for this manifold!!!

will any B16 TB work? how about ANY b-series TB?

thanks for the tip darkside.
i will definetly bore it out when i track one down. hey do you know if the butterfly peices are generic or would i have to get a custom one made? because if they are generic i can just order a specific size right?\

hey what exit is eugene. i really want that bumper peice, my rust keeps getting worSE!!!!

bobafett
01-30-2003, 11:53 AM
http://www.com-tech-online.com/car/a20gasket1.gif
http://www.com-tech-online.com/car/a20gasket2.gif

ok it looks like the bottom lines up fine, and the far right bolt will work, but all the other ones are gonna be a stretch. plus where i need to drill the new holes is awefully near the holes, and there is a lot of meat on the intake manifold in some of those places. also, look at the far left one. i dont know what that hole it for exactly, but i know that we need a bolt there! :)

what do you guys think?

bobafett
01-30-2003, 11:56 AM
ps lol thats the a20 gasket for those of you who are not following the story

joker2
01-30-2003, 12:21 PM
OK, that square hole on the far left, what's on the other side of that........ Like is there holes or something for a sensor because if not then, putting a hole there for the studs should be fine........:D

bobafett
01-30-2003, 12:40 PM
it looks like a plug for a hose. i dont think a sensor goes there...

but for the other holes it seems like the metal is too thick, and i wouldnt be drilling thru the flange.... :(

oh well i will let someone take a look at it who knows what they are doing!

88turboaccord
01-30-2003, 02:14 PM
Bob, I should have mine done by the end of the week. I will let you guys see what it looks like when I am done. Good thing for air tools, make it a snap to drill through and grind. There is a lot of grinding involved--I mean a lot..

bobafett
01-30-2003, 02:33 PM
so it "IS" possible then... that helps!

i guess i will just have to machine all the crap out of the way in order to use the bolts!

i would really really appreciate some insight once your done. in fact, maybe a how to is in order! :)

88turboaccord
01-30-2003, 08:45 PM
I will look into the how-to part, the problem is, you need air tools plus special bits for the air grinder, or you are out of luck. The bits I use are $42 each, and I have 5 different styles. You also need a cut off wheel as well. So unless you have the tools, better to take it to a machince shop.

What I did for the holes, I lined up the intake gasket, used the bolts through the bottom, then painted over the gasket. Take the gasket off, and you have your markings..

bobafett
01-30-2003, 10:48 PM
yeah. as for tools, I do not, but 87hybrid has a bunch of tools, i dont know if he has the same specific bits you used. but i am sure we can work something out. the tools part is not what i am concerned about. i was just concerned about the logistics of the project! :)

i cant wait to see your results, if your car is roadworthy yet i am curious to hear about the gains!

88turboaccord
01-31-2003, 12:01 AM
It won't be on the road for a while. I will keep you posted.