PDA

View Full Version : Hard corner + oil light = frayed nerves

Don87LX
05-16-2002, 04:45 AM
I took a turn very hard (almost to the tires break-loose point) and held it for a lil and the oil pressure light started to blink. After the turn it kept blinking. I pulled over and killed the ignition. sat for a minute and keyed the engine. IT came back fine and the light stayed off. Is this just becasue I made the oil slosh in the pan and confused the sender? Or could I have a serious problem on my hands? I have plenty of oil too btw.

guaynabo89
05-16-2002, 05:33 AM
Thats also happened to me too.( coming around a corner really fast)

I think its just a quick pressure drop when nothing gets sucked up by the pickup tube.

My car did it before and after I rebuilt my engine.

Sabz5150
05-16-2002, 05:51 AM
That's all it is... centrifugal force pulls the oil to one side and the pump doesn't pick anything up.

Honda was smart. Your light blinks when that happens. If you have a constant drop in pressure, your light stays solid.

-5150 :bandit:

Don87LX
05-16-2002, 06:34 AM
Ah. Thats must be the "you are driving like a fucking moron!" light.

A20A1
05-16-2002, 04:46 PM
All my G's seem to be in the vertical... weeeeeee!

you can modify the oil pan... add some walls and such so oil will stay where you want it... I was watching a TV show modify an oil pan for an older civic to go Autoxing

rallyeNate
05-17-2002, 09:23 AM
are oil pans do have a low spot, but if your hitting the corners hard you lose oil pressure because enough of the oil is being pulled away from the sump. it nothing to be worried with unless the light stays on for an exsive period of time. oil pressure is the only thing that keeps you engine from locking up.

Hoshizakido
05-17-2002, 04:27 PM
its just an oil pressure sensor mine goes off when i take uurns or brake to hard its just a drop in oil pressure if it happens to often your to low on oil or you drive like an idiot:rolleyes:

A20A1
05-17-2002, 07:03 PM
I was looking thru my weber book and they mentioned a TURBO that ran off of oil pressure... imagine not having to make cutom exhaust manifolds and being able to locate the turbo almost anywhere you please... :bow:

njpeter
05-19-2002, 01:20 PM
I've seen this also, when taking a fast u turn. While oil starvation isn't my idea of a good time, those of you that drive near the redline of tire adhesion can add baffels to the pan to keep the p/u under oil. Or perhaps it's as simple as a mod to the oil p/u. A common issue on mid-eighties motorcycles.

My engines have to last a really long time, so I'm seldomly driving to the max, perhaps the sometimes full thottle get it on the expresssway in front of a gasoline tanker, but I never see the oil light come up.:super:

1988starter
05-19-2002, 05:41 PM
Mine usto come on when every my car warmed up. It would flicker when I dropped the clutch or put it in nutral. I ended up using a bottle of STP 4 Cyl engine treatment never had a prob sense.