PDA

View Full Version : First performance part to buy

89AccordLvr
11-27-2002, 10:36 AM
which u suggest should be the first performance part to buy? State your opinions on what you choose

Site
11-27-2002, 10:40 AM
LOL - my first perf part was my Weber DCOE conversion. Now I'm modding like a maniac. It becomes addictive.

1988starter
11-27-2002, 11:09 AM
First buy a tune up
new plugs and wires
new air filter
oil change with new filter
PCV filter
Fuel filter
maybe o2 sensor(s)
Throttle body cleaning or carb cleaning (spray not gas additive.)
Distributer cap and rotor change.
Intake exhasut custom 2.25 mandrel bent then header and highflow cat.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-27-2002, 11:21 AM
My personel experience makes this a difficult question to answer. I don't think that you'll notice much of a HONEST increase in power, until you have at least 2 of the things on your list, installed on the car. Especially since you say just muffler and not new 2.25" piping from the cat-back with that new muffler.

First thing I did was get a Dynomax super turbo muffler, then I had a muffler shop make it into a cat-back system with 2.25" piping. I got a modest bump in power. When I bolted on the DC Sports header, I noticed a really nice bump in power. Overall I spend about $450 and I felt it was worth every penny. I never got around to installing the true cold air intake I purchased off a member.

socal3rdgen
11-27-2002, 11:47 AM
i think the cold-air intake makes the best sound when you here it from other cars. i have a short ram and mine still sounds good but i like the lower tone of a cold-air.

87AccordsterLx
11-27-2002, 11:53 AM
I agree.... I put one on my dads 98 Accord... holy shit it sounds good... people think the car is all modded up and shit when they hear it....

anchovies
11-27-2002, 01:16 PM
Yes to tune up.
Then get intake. Depending on what kind of muffler + tip you're going to put on (loud ass with big tip on a stock car !!!), it's better if you have something to back it up first.

89accordboi
11-27-2002, 01:26 PM
yeah i think u should tint the windows before u do anything that will affect the sound, im planning on tinting my windows then getting dynomax super turbo muffler with 2.25" cat, then im going to put in headers... after that i move onto some more appearance stuff, like wheels tires and sound system

Toby
11-27-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by 1988starter
First buy a tune up
new plugs and wires
new air filter
oil change with new filter
PCV filter
Fuel filter
maybe o2 sensor(s)
Throttle body cleaning or carb cleaning (spray not gas additive.)
Distributer cap and rotor change.
Intake exhasut custom 2.25 mandrel bent then header and highflow cat.

this would be the best list to follow, in that order from top to bottom.

Neuspeed007
11-27-2002, 07:03 PM
well what if we have carb?

smufguy
11-27-2002, 07:46 PM
well if u have a carb, drive over to a frind of yours with a efi and just drool over what he is doin. heheh, nah just kidding. follow all what Starter said and then take off the air box and filter. limit all the vaccum lines by either blocking them with a screw of somesort or rerout them into 'where' they end up in. Vaccum lines are shitty and u can just rip the whole emission control unit out, if u know what ur doing, like the A20A2 engines (am i right on that?). like Mike, the dude from egypt, his car looks like that. Then put an intake on ur carb like mike (a20A1) has.

toastyghost
11-29-2002, 03:39 PM
I'm saying "other" for ignition, although the exhaust is a good place to start too. But for me at least, that's a combination of some performance combined with a cool sound...

Vanilla Sky
11-30-2002, 08:00 PM
well, getting the car back to good shape is a good start... the tune-up and all should be the very first thing... then an exhaust setup with 2.25+ piping, headers, and maybe an intake would give you some more... then hit up on fuel and ignition... fuel pump, reg, maybe new fuel lines, then the ignition... if you really just wanna go fast or keep the car zippy, you need to work on the suspension and weight... 50/50 weight distribution is more important than overall for handling, and overall weight is more important for all out speed... one of the most important place to get rid of weight is in moving parts... pistons, valves, springs, rods, and crankshaft if you have the money... there's still PLENTY of other things you can do to get your car GOIN

Derick

KMS
12-06-2002, 02:32 PM
A 12 pack of Beer That's tHE FIRST THING.

89accordboi
12-06-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by KMS
A 12 pack of Beer That's tHE FIRST THING.

that is the ingrediant to death. :werd:

dXsquared
12-06-2002, 06:54 PM
i think a CAM would be up there on the list... if i had a choice it would be

1 HEADER
2 CAM
3 PIPE AND MUFFLER
4 INTAKE
5 10.5:1 Pistons and a Rebuild

Mike89Accordcom
12-08-2002, 02:05 AM
Here is what I did. I got my full exhaust system, then my intake, then my header and plug wires. I think that is one of the best ways to go. It's cool to see your power increse by doing all of those mods. Headers is the biggest bang for your buck!!

Mike's89AccordLX
12-08-2002, 03:16 AM
I did my full exhaust system, ignition wires, spark plugs, K&N filter, tune up, intake, WEBER 32/36. Next I want to get the intake that fits on top of the weber, and then buy headers and a bolt on straight pipe. Last will be my signature hoodscoop. Can't do that until spring.

dXsquared
12-13-2002, 10:54 PM
first i did a 1.75 inch pipe from the front to the back with no cat or muffler, just a resonator. then i got a weber, thats all i got right now. but i do have a header and a spare cam at home that are goin on in the spring along with my Full bodied coilovers and my big stainless BOOM TOOB! all i need is a carpet and body work and some paint. then im done spendin on this car. i think 3 or 4 years on this car then i get a low KM 2 gen CRX with a B18C5!!!

Travis

Jerren
12-16-2002, 07:30 PM
your first mod should be an engine swap or a turbo.

BensAccordLxi
12-26-2002, 02:49 PM
Intake all the way

mjimenez
12-26-2002, 02:51 PM
Well, if you're new in tunning and performance i suggest you air intake system...
Why? Well, let's see: 1-Great sound. 0 to 5 HP if installed correctly.
2-Nice look.
3-Once you have installed you will do anything to make the car look and run better and better and....:pimp:

3rdGenMartyr
12-28-2002, 09:31 PM
id have to say, the intake and other, a chip to boost air/ fuel ratio, you'll need it after you put more air into the motor, oh yeah, and some really hot plugs

ACCORD EX
12-30-2002, 01:22 AM
i think intake is winning because it's the only mod of the three above that can stand alone !

MIKE

88boy
01-01-2003, 09:51 PM
what is this intake for a carb that i heard about. can you buy one? and how much is the weber carb? where do yu get one? will a shop put it on? if any1 knoes let me knoe cuz i got money burning a hole in my hand.

88boy
01-01-2003, 09:52 PM
also what about that computer chip from nopi? is it worth it will in work on an lx?

anchovies
01-01-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by 88boy
also what about that computer chip from nopi? is it worth it will in work on an lx?

you got no ecu on your carb car
for your carb questions just do a search. I'm pretty sure the answer is out there

A20A1
01-03-2003, 03:38 AM
The order I went in was

Intake
Cut springs (3-coils)
2.0" Catback, hi-flo muffler
Modified the keihin (removed vacuum lines)
Hood scoop
Ignition (plugs, wires, accel coil)
first auto trans oil cooler (B&M)
coil overs (MaxSpeed)
Replaced water pump
Wild Cam (colt regrind)
Modified the keihin again (mechanical secandary)
second auto trans oil cooler (B&M)
Weber32/36
Weight reduction
2.50" Catback
Rims (ACE Cyclon 15")
Replaced head gasket
Ported Intake manifold Plenum and weber adapter plate
More Igniton (MSD blaster 2 coil never installed)

a20a1 Motor died

a20a3 will have all the same mods but I've redid on some of the previous mods I've done.
Now I'll have 2.50" full exhaust to a 4-2-1 lxi exhaust manifold.
More Intake manifold porting (dual stage/single plenum to a single stage/single plenum.)
5-speed conversion

later on I'll get (not in any order)

Oil filter relocation and cooling kit
Smaller 92 civic fluidyne radiator
MSD 6 or 7 ignition controll box
dual DCOE's or dual 32/36's if I feel like going that route.
fuel system upgrade