PDA

View Full Version : Q for people in cold climate

oldsub86
11-27-2002, 03:56 PM
When my car is cold (and lately it has been about 5 degrees F here in the mornings) it makes a noise when I shift the AT from park to neutral or from R to Drive. It is a metallic sound and not just a ding but more like a diiiiiiiiiiiiing. Cannot really tell you what the sound is like but it sounds metallic and is obviously from the AT. It does not do it when it has warmed up.

Anyone else have this problem or an answer to the cause or solution?

Randy

paintcan
11-27-2002, 04:21 PM
Honda Canada recalled the reverse idler gear on our cars. This is usually the problem with AT. However, other guys on the site have other stories to tell. Check out tech forum. By the way, don't freak out just yet; I've known people, incl. myself who have gone many KM. without having to fix it. If you get it fix, see someone who knows 3gen. accords well. The reverse idler gear can be replaced without taking the transmission out. Honda Canada dealerships charge roughly $200 for parts. Originaly, when Honda recalled the AT they paid dealers for 8 hours labor. My mech. got so good at this he was doing them in 4 hours. I don't expect that you will find a mech. to agree on 4 hours labor, but I wouldn't pay 8 hours for this. Beware of used AT. , they're usually f.... , if not now, they will be sooner or later. Whatever you decide, good luck with it.

accord19882002
11-28-2002, 05:43 PM
Did they recall all reverse idler gears or just the ones on the automatics? The reason I ask is because I had to replace mine not too long ago.

DanG86LX
11-28-2002, 08:39 PM
Mine's doing the same for years but only in the very cold mornings when i backup and then P or N. Not a problem after car warms up. Never new about this recall or TSB. Uh, must be this one:
35. ATRATB116 JUN 92 A/T - Noise Going Into or Out Of Reverse
95. ATRATB8772 DEC 87 A/T - Park, Reverse, or Neutral Clunk/Ratcheting Noise
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/24/862401A8.html

Neuspeed87lx
11-28-2002, 08:57 PM
mine makes all kinds of noises....always has ... never had one problem with it though ...