PDA

View Full Version : getting emission tubes off exaust manifold

Mantis88LX
11-27-2002, 07:12 PM
how do i get them things loose??? i tryed and tryed but the wont come looses. how did u people that installed header get yours off?

thanx

P.S im tring to get it off to install my header

anchovies
11-27-2002, 10:18 PM
I couldn't get it off when I tried quite some time ago. The EGR pipe at the header side just won't budge. Anyway, of course the normal PB blaster, heat. And if those fail, then try to tighten it first, then loosen it. Of course, who am I giving advice, I couldn't even get it to move.

A20A1
11-27-2002, 10:46 PM
Don't try and uncrew it from the exhaust sde... unscrew it from the intake side first. then remove the distributor and thermostat housing (after you drain the coolant.).
with the thermostat housing removed you can bend the pipe and break it off the exhaust manifold. then bang the excess pipe on the manifold flat to seal the pipe.

Mantis88LX
11-28-2002, 10:41 AM
well im going to keep the emission tubes so i don want to damage them.

A20A1
11-28-2002, 11:05 AM
oh... well just do everything except for the bashing and then unbolt the header and stick it in a vise.

Mantis88LX
11-28-2002, 12:24 PM
so it should be easier to undo the emmission tubes from the intake side? hmm, well since my car inst being drivin till spring i can remove shit and take my time and not have to rush to get it back together in time to go somewere.

thanx

Mantis88LX
11-28-2002, 07:31 PM
help me out dudes i wanna try to do this tommorow

A20A1
11-29-2002, 12:33 AM
Yes unhook it from the intake side.

It's best if your car is supported up high so you ave good access to the underside of the car.
you will have to drain the coolant
Remove the entire thermostat housing from the head.
Reomove the Distributor
Remove the engine torque bar and bracket from the engine side.
(the toruqe bar is connected from the firewall to the rear of the engine on the left side of the carb)
You may want to unbolt the entier AS-Valve instead of removing just the pipe... it's up to you. as for the EGR, with the torque bracket out of the way you should be able to fit in a wrench and pop it out.

Then remove the header and carefully slide it and the pipes out... then you can unbolt the down pipe and flex pipe from the cat.

Since you removed the A/C lines, the header should fit nicely between the radiator and engine.

Mantis88LX
11-29-2002, 12:10 PM
doesn anyone know how i can get them un done from the exaust manifold? i dont want to remove all this stuff that i want know how to put back on.

if i brought it to a muffler shop i wonder if they could brake them loose for me.

hasnt anyone installed a header on a carbed accord yet? if i knew i knew it was gonna be this much of a bitch then i wouldnt have bought it. :(

A20A1
11-29-2002, 03:33 PM
I've tried to take mine off with just the radiator removed but even then the crecent wrench really didn't fit well and i could only turn it a small amount.

anchovies
11-29-2002, 07:18 PM
Save your time. Bring it to the shop. If not just get another one. It's not worth the time and energy. If it's stuck, it's gonna be there for a while.

Mantis88LX
12-01-2002, 07:09 PM
ok i got the AS pipe off! HELL YEA!!!
but now i gotta get the EGR pipe off, that thing is hard to get a grip on, im gonna try more tommorow to get it loose.

if i unbolt it from the intake side then unblot the manifold from the down pipe , could i remove it with out removing anything else or is there stuff in the way, i was thinkin doin that then when i have it off i could have more access to the pipe so i could break it loose.

let me know cuz tommorow im not gonna stop till i get that thing off! :D

Dutchboy
12-02-2002, 08:42 AM
use a plumbers wrench on them if theres room enough....those always can help.

otherwise id say....cut the pipe in a place were it is straight....take the header off...and the pipe.. off the intake side and then if you ever want to put them back on all you would have to do is wrap some muffler fix tape around it and seal it off with some silicone or JB weld stuff...

WHy do you want to keep them anyway if your gonna have the header on ...
?

BEn

Mantis88LX
12-02-2002, 10:16 AM
i dont wanna go thru the trouble of pluging the holes, and my dad said i should keep them, so im gonna listen to him since he is helping me put it on.

also its the AS pipe that i cant get off, the egr i already got off.

carotman
12-02-2002, 11:44 AM
A pipe wrench is what I used.....

PhydeauX
12-02-2002, 12:15 PM
Pipe wrench and an acyetlene torch, propane doesn't do the job. Heat the manifold, not the nut, untill it glows, and back it out with the biggest pipe wrench you can fit in there. Since you have a carbed header I'll assume its a pacesetter. On mine the port for the a/s tube was fake. It was just a place to attach the tube to make it look like it was hooked up. Try to blow through port on the header, if you can't then yours is as well. Its no matter, the a/s doesn't do that much and you won't miss it. Putting it back is just for appearance so everything looks legal.

andy