PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start

locknload68
05-16-2002, 06:32 AM
Ok, I go out to my car to go to school today. Turn the key and it doesn't start right away like it usually does. So I pump the gas again and it starts then dies. I try again and it starts and dies. After that, it would just crank. So I was thinking that i flooded it...I smelled gas coming from the engine.

So my dad gets some starting fluid and I crank it and he sprays some in the carb. Starts and dies. So he kept spraying a little every when it was about to die and the RPMs would go up then right back down and he'd spray again.

I'm 99% sure there's no gas getting to the engine. I'm just not sure if it's the pump or something else. The car was wokring perfectly last night. So I don't know why the pump would have died just overnight. Maybe there were symptoms that I just didn't notice. I think I might have answered my own question, I just haven't had time to look at the possiblities. Oh well, post any ideas you guys have so i can check those too.

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks

ACCORD EX
05-16-2002, 07:19 AM
do you have gas in the tank ! ? :D ( i once had this problem :lol )

if you do ! did you try jumping the car ! if it starts so it's something got to do with electricity !

MIKE

Mantis88LX
05-16-2002, 08:08 AM
sounds like a vaccum leak

locknload68
05-16-2002, 10:44 AM
I have almost a full tank of gas and it's not an electrical problem(ran with starting fluid).

I don't think it's a vacuum leak because it would at least try to start and then die.

I'm almost 100% positive that it's something to do with the fuel system. I'm not exactly sure what to check and how to check it.

Thanks

CoAsTeR
05-16-2002, 12:47 PM
HAHAHAHAHA..... sorry, I just laugh cuz the same exact same thing happened to me. To make a long story short, my car died, had it towed to a shitass repair shop even though I specifically said I wanted it going to a HONDA DEALERSHIP. Anyways, they spent 8 hours on my car and couldn't figure it out. So I had it towed again, this time to a dealership that didn't have time to look at it. 30 mins later, I found the problem myself....

on the back of your fusepanel under your dash near your feet... you'll see your fuel cutoff relay. Its in a gray housing with a metal top with holes on it (bottom right corner if you're facing the back of the panel). It also has 4 prongs. Pull it out and jumper it, check to see if car starts. If it does, then thats the problem.
You can jumper it by joining the contacts on 1&2 and 3&4. I just shoved 2 sets of tweezers in the panel to do it.
If you find it was the relay, then you can either pocket one from the scrap yard, but a new one for 65 bucks or replace the transistor on your original one for 1 buck. Its the big transistor with the heat sink on it that dies.
Other than the relay it will be the fuel pump... which is very rare. Thats all I can recommend... good luck!

locknload68
05-16-2002, 01:05 PM
Thanks alot, I'll check that out :)

ACCORD EX
05-16-2002, 01:33 PM
isn't that relay suposed to beon EFI accords and we carb guys have a Fuse for that ! just asking ! :)

MIKE

locknload68
05-16-2002, 02:09 PM
Well, I come home today and try it out and guess what...IT WORKS!

This car has a mind of it's own sometimes. I'm still wondering what caused this though :confused:

ACCORD EX
05-16-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by locknload68
Well, I come home today and try it out and guess what...IT WORKS!

This car has a mind of it's own sometimes. I'm still wondering what caused this though :confused:

man ! don't wonder ! it just happens ! :D

glad everything is ok !

MIKE

CoAsTeR
05-16-2002, 05:31 PM
nah, our carb'd cars do have a fuel cutoff relay. its to prevent run on.
its definitly electronic if its intermittent. while your driving around for a bit, reach down and put your hand on the relay... you'll probably find that its scorching hot. if she's cookin', get a new one ASAP.

ACCORD EX
05-17-2002, 12:08 AM
thnx Coaster ! for this great info ! :)

MIKE

locknload68
05-17-2002, 10:43 AM
There must be something about the morning that is making this happen. I started my car this morning and it started like usual. Then as I was backing up, it stalled which is normal when it's kinda cold. Starts back up and then I try to go again and it stalls. After that, it wouldn't start back up :(

ACCORD EX
05-17-2002, 02:07 PM
does it rev high in the morning ! ?

MIKE

locknload68
05-17-2002, 06:55 PM
Yeah, the fast idle engages like it should.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
05-17-2002, 09:55 PM
It's a dead fuel pump. That happened to me when I was abou 50 miles away from home. Had to tow the damn thing back. It was cheaper replacing the friggin fuel pump then to have the car towed.

Fuel pump is an easy replacement but you have to work carefully.

1. Disconnet the battery (you dont' want any sparks when you disconnect the fuel pump).
2. Open the access hatch. It's in the trunk.
3. Unscrew the bolts anchoring the fuel pump to the tank.
4. Disconect the electrical wire & then disconnect the fuel line.
5. Replace the fuel pump and use a new gasket.
6. Reinstall the bolts and tightened to appropriate torque.
7. Reinstall the access hatch.
8. Reconnect your battery.
9. Start the car.

You must be extremely careful when handling the fuel pump. Gas, as you know, is highly flammable-combustible. Be safe when doing this one.

Claude

locknload68
05-19-2002, 06:14 PM
Is this access hatch round and glued down?