PDA

View Full Version : Rust!

oldsub86
11-27-2002, 08:57 PM
Has anyone either done extensive rust repairs or had a shop do it for them?

I have some problems that need to be addressed. The rear wheel arches have problems at the front and back on both sides. On the driver's side it is extending up into the fuel filler door. Also the quarter panels under the rear bumper are rusting especially on the pinch seam at the bottom.

Tonight I noticed that the pinch seam on the bottom of the rocker panel is rusting through.

Some of this is cosmetic but on a unibody car with no frame, I wonder how far it can go before it becomes a potential safety issue. I don't want to be hit from the side but if I do get hit, I would like to think that the car will protect me like it was designed to do.

Going to get quotes on repair but wondered what experience others have had?

Randy

offthahook
11-28-2002, 10:52 AM
I had my rust fixed by welding new pieces in there. Find an independent type guy or shop; the big boys just wanna do insurance work. It's not that hard if the guy is good with cutting and matching up the new piece(s). He'll have to use a very thin layer of duraglass after the welding, but mine looks good and has stayed rust free. Don't just let them throw layers of bondo on; the old metal needs to be cut out and new pieces welded in.

AccordEpicenter
11-28-2002, 01:04 PM
yeah cut the old rust out and fiberglass it over, that seems to be most economical while getting good results

smufguy
11-28-2002, 01:30 PM
fiberglass is a good idea, but it wont bond with metal. and sanding would be a pain in the ass. any local autobody shop will do it for u.but its gonna be an arm & a leg for that shit nowadays.

oldsub86
11-28-2002, 02:36 PM
I don't want to break the bank but I do want to do it right. The car is low mileage and in generally good shape for its age so it is worth fixing. I have a MIG welder and would do some of the work myself but it is winter here and I don't have a heated place to work. It is also harder to do the bottom stuff without a hoist.

Randy

89lxi95zx7
11-29-2002, 02:29 PM
http://www.rustrepair.com/

arches f/s here. don'know how good though

dXsquared
11-29-2002, 02:53 PM
deffinetly get new fenders. i priced out both sides and it was like 300 in parts and i know a body guy so i get that cheap. i have the same problem as u. BTW these are Canadian prices

Travis