PDA

View Full Version : Can someone confirm some part #s for me?

huntersdl
04-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Please.

Coudlnt hurt to have new i guess anyway. So i found the parts but i want to check with you experts if i have the right ones before i waste any more money.

Is the unloader the same as the Idle Stop Solenoid... Advance auto has Wells brand model E4032 $69.99 (i always use a 30% off coupon) Is this the same as the fast idle unloader?

I found what i believe are the two thermovalve. Sons honda has
Stock 17360-PD2-013 says Thermovalve (50A) $37.85 I assume this is Thermovalve A lol

Stock # 17355-PH2-013 Thermovalve Carb. $37.85 Is this Thermovalve B or another thermovalve? Part #12 and 13 on the diagram sons honda has.

I did see another honda dealer with Thermovalve B (B-60) and was part #10 on their diagram.(19330PD2013) at hondapartscheap.com - not endorsing just the only place i found this. Is this the actual thermovalve B and not the one above that says carb?

These actually seem cheaper than Standard brand model # PVS131 and i am not even sure what thermovalve that one is.

g.frost
04-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Is the unloader the same as the Idle Stop Solenoid?

No. Honda calls that the 'Primary slow mixture cutoff solenoid'.
It cuts fuel during deceleration and when you shut off ignition. It's a 12 volt solenoid, The fast idle unloader is a vacuum actuator with 2 vacuum ports sitting on the carb behind the choke heater.

Stock 17360-PD2-013 says Thermovalve (50A) $37.85 I assume this is Thermovalve A ???

No again.
ThermoValve A has 3 ports and is the thermovalve right next to this one in the diagram, labeled 11

The one referenced is thermovalve B.

....A vacuum gauge/pump is cheaper than any of these parts and will tell you which part is bad and needs replaced.
It's much harder and expensive to replace these than it is to test them....

huntersdl
04-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Unloader failed the test - didnt drop.. didnt have vacuum at line 19. Didnt drop when vacuum forced in with a pump. Manual says check thermovalve B as well. So looks like possibly two out of 3 things are bad.... So i was trying to get the 3 part #s lined up in preparation. So i am confused by the terminology then.. what are the part #s for all of these parts? especially the unloader?

huntersdl
04-07-2014, 03:28 PM
17350-PE0-033 ; 17350-PE0-023 are any of these them? im struggling lol

g.frost
04-07-2014, 03:36 PM
The fast idle unloader is not identified in that drawing.... there are 2 vac lines going to the carb behind the choke opener:
(diagrams in the manual are much better...)

( labeled 2 and 66 in the drawing ...wish they used Honda Vac line numbers 18 and 19) They go to the fast idle unloader.

This is likely a discontinued part from Honda. Did you isolate both vac lines at the unloader (unplug), pump them both down together and they don't hold Vac? If so, then it is bad. Maybe you can find a good one at the junk yard, you don't need to start the car to test if it is good. Mine is still working at 26+ years....

huntersdl
04-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Didnt change with vacuum... idle didnt drop. I picked up small vacuum at line 18 and NONE at 19. The fast idle solenoid i did find on sons honda and a BWD brand at advance. Honda part 8-94146-909-2 and BWD 31059. This looks like the part i see on the manual. Unless i am hallucinating. Then manual says if no vacuum on 19 to check thermovalve B... I just cannot tell where it really is in teh diagram

g.frost
04-07-2014, 04:37 PM
A solenoid though is an electrical (piston) actuator. The fast idle unloader is not a solenoid. Are there 2 vacuum ports in this part, or is there a wire connected to it?

You have an 89, is it LX/DX, auto/manual? (...and I assume 49 state smog, not CA. This could be the Thermovalve A vs B difference)

huntersdl
04-07-2014, 04:43 PM
No wire.. has two ports. Looks like the part i think. 6119anceautoparts.com/p/bwd-intermotor-auxiliary-air-regulator-31059/18481032-P?searchTerm=idle

Look like it?

huntersdl
04-07-2014, 04:44 PM
This is an LX 1989 accord sedan - as you know with carb

g.frost
04-07-2014, 04:47 PM
On my 88 DX, Manual, CA smog, thermovalve C is above the thermostat, front of the engine. Thermovalve A and B are in back under the carb: A has 3 ports and is closer to the drivers side, B is along side it, towards passenger side and has 2 ports.

Best to use the original Honda Service manual downloaded from this site to identify the parts,,, then try to 'parse' the diagrams from the parts suppliers.... I'm getting lost here too.

huntersdl
04-07-2014, 04:49 PM
do you have to take the carb off to get to those thermovalves? Please tell me no

g.frost
04-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Wow, OK, that looks nothing like the fast idle unloader on my car, nor does it appear to perform the same function at all...(mine has a cam puller arm that holds the throttle butterfly open...) and they say it is an 'exact fit' for my car too!...
Clearly that is a mistake...

Does it look like the part you tested on your car?

huntersdl
04-07-2014, 04:59 PM
it does but looks longer.. not sure how zoomed in that part is.... i need a fresh look.. plus i emailed them to specifically ask if it replaces teh honda fast idle unloader.

g.frost
04-07-2014, 05:01 PM
do you have to take the carb off to get to those thermovalves? Please tell me no

Sorry, can't say: I've never had to replace them.... I just went out and took a peek; I can see thermo A and carb is not in the way here ... but plenty of other#$^#%(stuff) around it you will have to deal with... Thermo B, likewise.

g.frost
04-07-2014, 05:04 PM
That part is an air valve, mine is a cam puller. I don't know, maybe CA emissions is so radically different than the other 49 states... I'm going to shut up for a while and look at the manual (never looked at the 49 state version; I got my hands full with my CA version...)

huntersdl
04-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Can you confirm the honda part #s for thermovalve A and B? Im in NC - so 49 state parts work. I would rather replace... a vacuum gun costs me about 1.5 of these two parts..rather just ensure fresh and new..

huntersdl
04-07-2014, 05:10 PM
PS thanks for the help bud!

g.frost
04-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Amazon.com: Brake Bleeder and Vacuum Pump Kit: Everything Else (http://www.amazon.com/Brake-Bleeder-Vacuum-Pump-Kit/dp/B005BT90DI/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DJAJ1B1DRHYDJY83ZSC)

Vacuum gauge/pump $25-30, should have them at local parts store, or maybe you can rent it cheaper....
Really need to use this thing to sort out the problem....

Every vac diagram in the OEM Honda service manual shows the fast idle unloader as a cam puller on the throttle butterfly: so NO WAY is that the right part for these cars.

For thermovalves, go back to the first one you referenced above... :

Stock 17360-PD2-013 says Thermovalve (50A) $37.85 I assume this is Thermovalve A

THAT IS THERMOVALVE B (Per OEM Honda Service manual...)

Thermovalve A is right next to it in the diagram, with 3 vac ports on it.... but it is not listed in the parts list.

B is labeled 13 and A is labeled 11 in the diagram.

huntersdl
04-07-2014, 05:47 PM
So #13 and 11. here. #13 you say is Thermo A.... 11 is B. According to this they call this part VALVE ASSY., THERMO WAX SWITCHING with part #17350-PH4-661 See how easy it is to get confused by the naming convention?6126

huntersdl
04-07-2014, 05:57 PM
So A is pretty much impossible to find.. everywhere has it as discontinued.. How would i test this particular one again? Junkyard may be needed afterall

g.frost
04-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Use the Honda service manual to refer to these parts; the different parts diagrams you reference has the same part labeled differently.

Get the exact year, rev, model, etc. etc. etc OEM Service manual and reference the exact vac diagram for your exact car only. (Ignore all other vac diagrams for the other versions/revs...)

I have the 88 manual that shows Vac line 18 controls high idle unloader (first stage) using thermovalve A and the second stage line 19 uses thermovalve B.

However.... the 88 manual addendum shows thermovalve A for both 18 and 19; both first stage and second stage for high idle unloader. This is how my car is plumbed.... now I'm dizzy and sick of looking at all these spaghetti diagrams.

Really can't recommend strongly enough here; You have to become a test technician and not a parts swapper. Slow down and go through these things in the service manual and figure out exactly which parts work and which one has failed. This is much easier and cheaper in the long run than 'shotgun' approach to buy and replace all related parts ...(some of which are no longer available) ...Also, some of these still working 25 year old OEM parts are much better quality and reliability (even after 25 years!) than some cheap china replacement junk you will get new at Advance Auto. (....if it is even the right part?)

g.frost
04-07-2014, 06:25 PM
So #13 and 11. here. #13 you say is Thermo A.... 11 is B. According to this they call this part VALVE ASSY., THERMO WAX SWITCHING with part #17350-PH4-661 See how easy it is to get confused by the naming convention?6126

In this diagram, thermovalve A is 11 (it has 3 ports!) thermovalve B is 13.....

huntersdl
04-07-2014, 06:25 PM
ive downloaded the manual but not quite finding how to actually test thermovalve A and B. I did find how to test teh unloader and i am pretty sure it failed but i want to get a better vacuum pump before settling on that. I dont mind sending the car to a pro but i want to try and figure this out on my own first. Our pullapart has about 4 or 5 of these models.. i can see if they have the parts and pull them off if need be.... and no chance they work either but woudl be worth getting one or two of each if i can definitively figure it out.

huntersdl
04-07-2014, 06:27 PM
I dont understand how they differ one year to another.

g.frost
04-07-2014, 06:42 PM
I don't know why some models or years use thermo B and some use A, but my (guess!) with an 89, yours uses thermo A...

When you go to the junk yard with your vac pump/gauge, you can test the fast idle unloader before you even pull the part.
The thermovalves however, will need to be heated to test for function. (you can use a pan of water on the stove when you get them home... along with that handy vac gauge tester)