PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding 86 LX-i Hatch

chavisca
04-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Alright, so come maybe Wednesday I'm taking a wrecker from our shop to go pick up my 86.
It's going in the shop and getting entirely rebuilt, ground up.
Defiantly getting turbo and all that, but what are some great mods and set ups some of you guys have done?
I'm sticking with the A20 Fuel injected. Can I get some links or ideas for some cool stuff to do?
Any and every idea would be great. Everything down to pistons and cams I'd like to hear. It's a project car and I'm not looking to save money on it.
So links to parts, or what you've done to yours that's cool would be awesome!
I apologize if this is in the wrong area, I've never been good with forums so feel free to move it.

Tdurr
04-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Well congrats on making the plunge into fully building a 3gee! Its deff a rewarding project when people have no ide that these cars even exist.

As far as suggestions on parts and internals, the faq above this threads and people's build threads in the forced induction subsection is a good place to start.
Lots of information is floating around the forums. We will be more then happy to help you make this build everything you want it to be, but specific questions get nore responses here because we have a large problem with newer members not reading any of the faq or searching :/ .
Ohhh and pictures are your best friend here! We love to see what you are working with haha

chavisca
04-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Well congrats on making the plunge into fully building a 3gee! Its deff a rewarding project when people have no ide that these cars even exist.

As far as suggestions on parts and internals, the faq above this threads and people's build threads in the forced induction subsection is a good place to start.
Lots of information is floating around the forums. We will be more then happy to help you make this build everything you want it to be, but specific questions get nore responses here because we have a large problem with newer members not reading any of the faq or searching :/ .
Ohhh and pictures are your best friend here! We love to see what you are working with haha

Thank you! I'll be more specific when it gets up and started. I'll defiantly be taking lots of picture.
I have a pretty awesome phone so it will be easy.

Tdurr
04-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Not a problem man. Be sure to document the whole process, from picking it up to first drive after the rebuild or ull be hassled alot for pics by me :p haha. Looking forward to seeing this build happen.

Also look into going obd1. Its a must imo for a proper turbo build.

chavisca
04-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Not a problem man. Be sure to document the whole process, from picking it up to first drive after the rebuild or ull be hassled alot for pics by me :p haha. Looking forward to seeing this build happen.

Also look into going obd1. Its a must imo for a proper turbo build.

I'll keep it all up to date! Thank ya!

chavisca
04-10-2014, 08:22 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/11/y2u3yhy3.jpg

Loaded up and headed to the shop. She's sitting at the shop now and will start getting torn down probably this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honda Man
04-11-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm going to be keeping an eye on this build. I have an 86 LX-i hatch as. well good luck with whatever you decide to do to her dude!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

chavisca
04-11-2014, 05:01 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/4ababy5y.jpg
From the overheat.
Got that all cleaned out and now she's running! Adjusting the valves as I type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/ju2a2ade.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/y2ahega8.jpg

Honda Man
04-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Nice good work man. I need to start doing this to my hatch

chavisca
04-11-2014, 06:02 PM
First burnout in a long time. I miss driving this car haha

Honda Man
04-11-2014, 06:13 PM
One wheel burnouts for the win! :)

Tdurr
04-11-2014, 06:42 PM
haha nice. gotta break them in the right way

chavisca
04-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Does anybody know what intake manifolds will fit the A20A3? I read that the B16A I believe fits. I've looked around but can't find anything on it.

Honda Man
04-11-2014, 07:24 PM
Does anybody know what intake manifolds will fit the A20A3? I read that the B16A I believe fits. I've looked around but can't find anything on it.

Yes that's true you just have to re drill the holes to mount them

chavisca
04-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Yes that's true you just have to re drill the holes to mount them

Is there any other manifold that will work?

Honda Man
04-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Not that I know of at the moment, I'm just stepping into motor stuff

chavisca
04-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Not that I know of at the moment, I'm just stepping into motor stuff

Well thank you for letting me know about the B16A! I might be able to get one from a scrap yard. They have a 87 Prelude with a B something in it. I would love to pull that and put it in the Accord but it would just be so much cooler to leave the motor factory with a turbo.

Honda Man
04-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Well thank you for letting me know about the B16A! I might be able to get one from a scrap yard. They have a 87 Prelude with a B something in it. I would love to pull that and put it in the Accord but it would just be so much cooler to leave the motor factory with a turbo.

It would be great the low end torque in these A20s is great & with boost it's a win!

chavisca
04-11-2014, 07:33 PM
It would be great the low end torque in these A20s is great & with boost it's a win!

I heard that they also love Nitrous. When I have plenty of access too. Lol

Honda Man
04-11-2014, 07:35 PM
I heard that they also love Nitrous. When I have plenty of access too. Lol

Juice? Really? I haven't seen a 3G build with NOS

chavisca
04-11-2014, 07:38 PM
Juice? Really? I haven't seen a 3G build with NOS

I'll play with it a bit after the rebuild before I actually slap that in there. Have it my daily again for a while.

Tdurr
04-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Search b series intake, u can find the info on the forums. Nitrous hasn't been played with too much on the fourms as far as I know so I say deff do it!

chavisca
04-11-2014, 08:23 PM
Search b series intake, u can find the info on the forums. Nitrous hasn't been played with too much on the fourms as far as I know so I say deff do it!

Lol I'll look into it.

Honda Man
04-11-2014, 08:33 PM

Yes this. You could be the pioneer of these A20s hooked up with boost for the 3gee community

chavisca
04-12-2014, 12:31 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/na2yzaha.jpg
Picture from way back when she was still my daily. Went to a car meet later that night and we were just all hanging out in the neighborhood and went and snapped this.

chavisca
04-13-2014, 06:15 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/14/nedy2yqe.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/14/u4edezeh.jpg
Doing some wire tucking and vacuum line deletes. Hoping to do more and have it back running tomorrow.

Tdurr
04-13-2014, 09:51 PM
keep up the progress man!

Honda Man
04-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Since your ripping the em missions out anyways, you should look into swapping to obd1 it's better everything and the engine bay looks cleaner

chavisca
04-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Since your ripping the em missions out anyways, you should look into swapping to obd1 it's better everything and the engine bay looks cleaner

Where I'm going though I want my car stupid.

Honda Man
04-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Where I'm going though I want my car stupid.

Huh?

chavisca
04-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Picked up some awesome 550CC injectors for FREE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/16/7asedymy.jpg

chavisca
04-15-2014, 02:19 PM
Huh?

I want the car to be stupid. Haha
I might look at OBD1 later but right now it can't get any smarter.

chavisca
06-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Okay, so the car got pushed to the back of the yard to be able to get work flowing through the shop. I don't see it going anywhere. It runs and all now but I figure since everyone here loves them then I can part it out to you guys. So tell everyone I'm going to be pulling it apart and just message me for part specifics and pictures. It has everything.