PDA

View Full Version : 89 Accord idle fluctuating up and down and overheating

Tylerzane
04-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Hi Guys

Just want to say up front that I don't know a lot about honda's. My accord has been running great up until last night. It started fine but once warmed up
the idle started going from 1500 to 900rpm. I shut it off and noticed rad fluid in the engine bay. I have not checked the fluid yet but I did check the oil
and it seemed fine. It is not blowing any smoke so I can't see it being a head gasket. I did a little research and wonder if it could be the IACV. All thoughts and opinions
are welcome.

Thanks

RAZR
04-12-2014, 02:26 PM
Hi Guys

Just want to say up front that I don't know a lot about honda's. My accord has been running great up until last night. It started fine but once warmed up
the idle started going from 1500 to 900rpm. I shut it off and noticed rad fluid in the engine bay. I have not checked the fluid yet but I did check the oil
and it seemed fine. It is not blowing any smoke so I can't see it being a head gasket. I did a little research and wonder if it could be the IACV. All thoughts and opinions
are welcome.

Thanks

That is a very common issue. It is usually because your coolant is low. If youre seeing coolant in your engine bay find out where its leaking and refill ur coolant and bleed the system.

1987LXiHatch
04-15-2014, 06:57 PM
The idle issue is definitely because of low coolant/air in the line from the leak.. Was it leaking from the front (hose/radiator leak) Left side (water pump) rear/right (thermostat housing/ heater hose/ IACV/ throttle body)? Those are SOME places to check out depending on where your leak is coming from.. Good luck